Mash Chemistry Confused ???

mpmccann

Trial Member
Reaction score
Okay,
I am confused as to why my Mash Chemistry numbers are different. ...(Creating to Brewing)... When I create a recipe I am treating all water with salts etc. I then treat my remaining sparge water with Lactic Acid. The difference comes when I go to brew the recipe. If I go to the Water Chemistry tab and add the same data from my recipe, "which in my opinion should already be pre-filled", it shows my HCO3 way different from when I built the recipe. It goes from a negative value (-16) to a positive value (+62). It seems to be saying I need to re formulate my additions again. I also don't see anything about lactic acid for the sparge water addition or water blending etc, on the brew side. Which calculator do I trust and use? Do I just ignore the Water Chemistry tab when brewing during the planning process? Why is it there if it is not the same as creating a recipe. Creating and planning are the same thing right? I feel like I am doing the same thing in two different places with two different calculators and getting two different answers. I am sure it is something I am not understanding Please Help!!!
Matt...

I understand what your saying for that reason I use the water chemistry calculator at the bottom of a edited recipe not the one in the brew session tab, that will fill in the recipe malts for you if clicked on from that link then you can pull in your source water from the profile water and change it how ever you need "but" from there once done it will not populate your brew session, you have to manually add your salts and acid in the other ingredients form, save the recipe then hit brew, or edit prew session and rebuild brew. I hope this helps

Thanks, I was just needing to hear some clarification. I will go with the water additions from my created recipe.
And, yes I do add those water additions to the other ingredients section of the recipe. I noticed it adds them to the brewing checklist that way. I also use the snapshot option so I can make small adjustments on brew day without altering my original recipe.
I appreciate the quick response,
Matt...

Back