Mash Calculator in Brew Session claiming 0 qt water required

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
I click Brew, I go into the Brew Session section, I click Mash Calculator, it claims Mash Volume: 0 quarts, Mash Remaining: 0 quarts and a happy check mark.

Am I inputting something wrong into the recipe? Or is this an error? See picture.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 6.18.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 6.18.33 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Working on it! Should be fixed tomorrow if all goes well.

Not quite fixed yet, our apologies! The issue(s) have been identified and are being worked on, however the investigation has brought a complex problem to light that needs some de-tangling. As soon as it's ready I'll make sure to post here and tag all parties that have commented!

Thank you for your patience while we continue to work on getting this fixed as soon as possible!

nothing yet? Still showing Zeros needed for water requirements.

The fix is currently sitting on beta.brewersfriend.com, it has required a lot of work in the background to align multiple modified copies of the QWR calculations, and I just approved the update. Once a second developer has reviewed the code changes, it'll get released! I anticipate the release to be done today/tomorrow if all goes well.

There also seems to be something wrong with the boil size calculator. For a 25L batch it's telling me I need a post boil size of 20L?

I tried earlier today to create a new recipe. I set my batch size to 2.75 gallons, BIAB process using my 5.5 gallon kettle. The editor gave me a pre-boil volume of 2.2 gallons, then said I had to top up with 1.74 gallons in the fermenter to hit my target. Never before have I seen this. I rebooted my iPad, tried again and got different results, but still way out of whack. After a few more tries, I deleted the recipe and gave up. I will try again. If the recipe builder fails me again, I’ll preserve it for administration to examine.

I tried earlier today to create a new recipe. I set my batch size to 2.75 gallons, BIAB process using my 5.5 gallon kettle. The editor gave me a pre-boil volume of 2.2 gallons, then said I had to top up with 1.74 gallons in the fermenter to hit my target. Never before have I seen this. I rebooted my iPad, tried again and got different results, but still way out of whack. After a few more tries, I deleted the recipe and gave up. I will try again. If the recipe builder fails me again, I’ll preserve it for administration to examine.
Yep, that's exactly where I ended up.

this thread was referring to the Brew Session Mash Calculator, for those who are having an issue with the Recipe Editor.

Anyway, the brew session mash calculator seems to be showing correctly. Making a batch later today, and it's showing me:
Batch calls for 13.2 qt / 3.3 gal of total mash water.
Water losses from grain absorption and mash tun dead space are: 1.2 qt / 0.3 gal
Batch calls for a starting boil volume of: 12 qt / 3 gal

Using 6 lbs of grain on a 2.25 gal (9 quart) batch
Strike: 13.2 quarts
subtract 0.2 qt/lbs for grain absorption: 13.2 - (6*0.2) = 12 qt boil size
12 qt boil size, boil for 60 minutes, lose 3 qt/hr, = 9 qt batch size.

@oliver thank you so much, I completely lost this thread but saw your response in forum activity.

@Herm_brews @Dave Carlton @Mooseblood Brewing

Thank you all for reporting this issue, it wasn't occurring on beta during testing as we have a change coming to the calc button and so the error didn't exist on beta.

Good news is the QWR is actually working correctly. The bad news is the calc button is non functional.

If you go in and manually input the preboil/postboil what they should be, in herm_brews example it looks like it should be an even 4 and 3 gallons respectively, then the QWR output will be correct.

upload_2022-3-20_8-24-27-png.19882

Obviously this is not okay, and we will fix immediately.

@Pricelessbrewing not super important, but, one weird thing happening with the interface in the brew session, the bold text isn't showing bold but showing the script command thingy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 12.58.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 12.58.44 PM.png
    613.8 KB · Views: 56
Thank you all for your patience again, this has (hopefully) been fixed. I'm doing some testing on the live website now to confirm, the update has been released and gone live.

Please let me know if you see any issues!
@Donoroto @oliver @EricOuellet @Minbari
I was on pause for brewing :0... back at it now, today everything worked fine for me.

Back