Mardi Gras ale

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not totally sure what a Mardi Gras ale is.. What would I want to be drinking at the parades? Brewing it on Sunday so I can have it ready for the week of February 20th, (Fat Tuesday is the 28th)

50% 2-row, 50% white wheat ... SG: 1044, shooting for 4.5% ABV.

Medusa at 60 and 15, Mandarina Bavaria at 5 and 1, = 30 IBUs
+Fresh zested lemon and satsuma peels, cardamom and coriander.

Fermented on Wyeast 1010 (American Wheat)

Planning on using DI water with only Gypsum and CaCl additions... SO4/Cl ratio: 1.35

I recon mash high as well so retain some sweetness in wort I'm drinking prob 60/40wheat pils brew and its dry just a little light on mouth feel just my 2 bob. I mashed fairly high with this brew so humph who knows

My mash tun usually runs high. If I shoot for 150 I'll get 154 for a while until it cools to 150 on its own for the latter half of the mash

Drunken debauchery in the streets !(love it ) ....slightly different to the Mardi Gras we have here in Sydney every year , suffice to say there is debauchery and piratical behavior but a different crowd than i generally party with

I'm sure an eye patch wouldn't go astray there marky boy lol:D maybe a patch somewhere else come madigrass ha ha.

I'm drinking that lemongrass wheat beer right now if your thirsty it's a perfect beer if you want a sipper of a beer then go more malty probably ale /wheat not my pils /wheat combo.

Don't get me wrong this brew is a guzzler but not a lot of body to it that's why I mentioned the high mash temp reducing wort fermentability. The alcohol content is sneaky though

That's a good idea getting more unfermentable sugars, I'd like this to be a session beer, and not a lite beer.

well. no 1010 today, 05 instead. Going to be bittering with Saaz now, Medusa at the end. Might go easy on the spices now since I want the hops more.

Back