mangrove jack yeast

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by goschman, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse Well-Known Member

Anyone have any information/impressions on M15 or M36? I have seen yeast equivalency charts including mangrove jack but can't seem to find it.

2. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

I've only used m42 new world strong ale from mangrove jack. It works great in stouts. Can't comment on their other yeasts specifically, but based on good experience with the m42 I wouldn't hesitate to try their others.

3. AHarper

AHarper Well-Known Member

Retired
    goschman likes this.
  4. Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

5. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

M15 is a low attenuator and produces some pretty heavy fruity esters. Be sure to get the temperature up 68 of 70 after a couple days of active fermentation or this yeast will often drop like a rock. Great if you want a lot of body and some residual sweetness
    I use M36 in many of my pale ales. It's produces some lighter estersand favors malt over hops a bit, but ferments fairly clean overall. Attenuation usually in the high 70s if you kick the temperature up when fermentation begins to slow. Otherwise, it can drop out early.

I brew a lot of west coast IPAs and really like their M44.

dmtaylor likes this.
  6. J A

J A Well-Known Member

I tried to pitch a batch of 1.042 Blonde with a packet of M44 and it was completely DOA. I read about some slow starts but at 36 hours it was as if I hadn't pitched a single yeast cell. Absolutely clear wort and not so much as a bubble. I pitched a packet of US-05 I had as a backup to keep the batch from going bad. I don't have the sort of environment that will let wort go unmolested without a krausen on it for days on end. ;)
    I really like their Witbier and Saison yeasts, but I don't think I'll bother with that one again.

7. dmtaylor

dmtaylor New Member

Engineer
    Home Page:
  8. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Yep, canhappen with any yeast. I've had great results every time I've used it. I do dry yeast starters and generally M44 shows signs of active fermentation in less than 12 hours. I've heard of long lag times with BRY-97 and have never waited more than about 16 hours to see signs of active fermentation. Could go on and on about bad experiences with different strains, both liquid and dry. I don't because I know poor handling of yeast is far from rare. I can imagine it could be even worse when it comes from half way around the world.

J A likes this.
  9. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

dmtaylor likes this.
  10. Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Now I'm afraid to try either of them. I hate how misleading manufacturer websites can be. They talk about high attenuation and high flocculation which sounds inaccurate.

It looks like I used M79 before they changed stuff around. Looks like I got good attenuation (80%) but I remember not caring for the flavor profile very much.

11. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

The chance of dropping out early goes along with high flocculation. As long as you understand that you should be OK. No big thing to up the temperature a few degrees and swirl the fermenter. I haven't brewed anything lately that M15 would be a good fit for, but use M36 Liberty Bell quite often with good results.