Mangrove Jack M27 Attenuation

Reaction score
Hiya

I've noticed that the attenuation / expected FG for the MJ Belgian Ale yeast stipulated in Brewersfriend seems to be different to the figure quoted by the manufacturer. BF states an FG of around 1.014, the instructions on the packet 1.005ish. Is there a reason for this? I got 1.006 for my FG so the figure quoted on the packet seems closer? When designing a beer it alters the ABV by a fair bit, not that's necessarily a bad thing :D Info I've been looking at below.

http://culturesforhealth.com/media/docs ... _Yeast.pdf

Best

Sprigo

Hi Sprigo,
Quite a bit goes into the FG calculation, outside of the yeast attenuation, including OG, mash temperature, etc. so there can definitely be some variance recipe to recipe. Could you attach a link to the recipe you're noticing that on? Or a screenshot?

Thanks!

This is the documentation from the yeast box in the recipe editor:
Custom Attenuation:
You can enter a custom attenuation value for the yeast. At present, this is the only way to impact the estimated FG of the recipe.

I would love it if the custom attenuation worked as described above, that you could type in the number and it would calculate the FG. Anyone with any experience knows how to get the attenuation they want using mash temperatures and ingredients, plus some trial and error, of course. It's frustrating to change a mash schedule and have the predicted FG change. I've asked about this several times and no one else seems to care. Anyone?

Thanks, PZ

you use custom attenuation in any recipe but I only use it when I know the outcome of my final gravity from previous recipes with that yeast

All systems brew differently.
The attenuation is the main factor of variance of the FG of a recipe. Lots of things can affect the outcome of how the beer attenuates. I don't think it would be possible to set a program for this without the brewer doing a lot of input that would get way too complicated. I use the software and then with experience with yeast or temperatures,etc. adjust accordingly. There is some stuff brewers have to do on their own. I wouldn't be interested in software that did it all for me. I like software that is able to accept changes I make and then I can record (brew log) and repeat on my own terms. This is rocket science not freshmen algebra. That's how I look at it anyway.

Ozark, what I'm talking about is using the custom attenuation. You can type in any number you want but it still looks to the mash schedule to come up with the FG. You can use the ABV calculator to verify the math.

Better yet, pull up a recipe and enter a high mash temp like 158 and a custom attenuation of 80. Then change the temp to 148. The FG will change. I have no idea what the parameters are other than the mash temperature. Irritating!

Josh (Brewer's Friend) said:
Hi Sprigo,
Quite a bit goes into the FG calculation, outside of the yeast attenuation, including OG, mash temperature, etc. so there can definitely be some variance recipe to recipe. Could you attach a link to the recipe you're noticing that on? Or a screenshot?

Thanks!

Hiya All

Thanks for all your replies, I'll certainly look to use the custom attenuation function. Josh the recipe screenshot as per below in case it's something to do with my recipe / methods which is highly likely as I've not been an all grain brewer for long! :D

Best

Andy

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Belgian Blonde Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Belgian Blond Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume) - top up water was require
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.53%
IBU (tinseth): 28.26
SRM (morey): 6.42

FERMENTABLES:
3000 g - United Kingdom - Pilsen (50.8%)
1200 g - United Kingdom - Munich (20.3%)
500 g - German - Carapils (8.5%)
560 g - Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late addition) (9.5%)
350 g - Belgian - CaraVienne (5.9%)
300 g - Torrified Wheat (5.1%)

HOPS:
7.5 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 2.25
7.5 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 7 min, IBU: 0.61
25 g - Challenger, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 30.89

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
15 g - Orange peel, Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
15 g - Coriander Seeds , Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
4 g - Super Moss, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - Belgian Ale Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 78%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 26.11 - 32.22 C