Malted Rye

chub1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Have never used this before.Got some to try out in a couple of small batch beers.
Have already got one on the go with a 5% addition to pale malt and other malts.What would your maximum percentage be in a beer.
Will i get anything out of a 5% addition or have i wasted my time?
cheers

I've gone up to 75% but most recipes are in the 5-10% range because rye is thick and tends to get stuck easily.

Since this initial enquiry i have brewed around 5 beers with varying amounts of rye malt or and flaked rye and must say i am a fan:cool:
Most i have used so far in a mix is around 16% but it just gives the beers a nice sharpish edge to them.
My latest small batch(6litre) partial mash was a black rye ipa,kept under 5% abv as that is how i like mine.What a cracking beer and only just carbed up properly,yeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa:D

Last edited:
If you go above 25% rye then rice hulls will help to avoid a stuck sparge .
I often brew with ~25% in pales using very little crystal and citrus / fruity type hops with the spice from rye balancing things out well

I went up to 28% with Rye in an IPA, and I did not think it was too much.

Just try it for yourself and see how it works out.

I think 15% is a safe palce to start.

Since this initial enquiry i have brewed around 5 beers with varying amounts of rye malt or and flaked rye and must say i am a fan:cool:
Most i have used so far in a mix is around 16% but it just gives the beers a nice sharpish edge to them.
My latest small batch(6litre) partial mash was a black rye ipa,kept under 5% abv as that is how i like mine.What a cracking beer and only just carbed up properly,yeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa:D
I'm gunna have to give this a Berl in my next pale ale see what all the fuss is about :).

Back