making strawberry rhubarb berliner weisse

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by chefzach, Mar 8, 2015.

1. chefzach

chefzach New Member

Do you guys suggest boiling with fruit or just adding a tincture with the fruits and adding at bottling? Most beers brewed with the fruit gets lost in fermentation. Anyone had any success with tinctures over fruit additions?

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Remember, fermented fruit does not taste like fruit but with "chef" in your handle, you probably know this. Strawberries. They aren't sanitary, nor is rhubarb. I've tried them in a Hefeweizen and got some epic spews when I opened the bottles. As in the entire beer shooting out of the bottle and all over my wife's kitchen. I'm pretty sure I was pretty close to bottle bombs. A good way to pasteurize fruit is to heat it up to 170 degrees and hold it at that temperature for a half-hour, cool and add it to your secondary. The oven works nicely for this but again, you get a change in the fruit's flavor. Additional risk, heat it too hot and the pectin sets, giving you a permanently hazy beer. I finally got the strawberries to work in the Hefeweizen but was disappointed anyway, mostly all I got was tartness.

3. sbaclimber

sbaclimber Well-Known Member

....not to mention, Berliner Weisse "mit Geschmack" is just normal Berliner Weisse with syrup. ;)

4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

SBA Climber suggests a better method of getting what you want: Find some strawberry syrup, bake the rhubarb into a pie and enjoy your straight Berliner Weisse "mit Schuss".