Longest running yeast starter

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
whats your longest running yeast starter on a stir plate that you successfully made beer from

I missed my brew day window, had to wait a week so just kept it running, on 4 days now

I'd freshen it up a bit. Feed it some wort before pitching.

got it stirring at 60 now, think Ill add something then let it ferment out the day before just to be sure lol

6 days was my longest, which includes the time to let it settle out so I could decant it. That was a 3L starter for a lager, which take longer in general because of the lager yeast and the size of the starter.

Yesterday I pitched a 4 day old starter of American Wheat. This was again 3L, going towards an 11 gallon batch. The smack pack was about 9 weeks old (~50% dead). It took it awhile to get started but eventually foamed over and made a mess of my stir plate. Pitched yesterday and today it is fermenting strongly with a beautiful white krausen.

I have a 1 and a 2l flask that held my stir bar at a very high rev with a good vortex, I haven't found anything bigger that will hold my bar. what do you use Larry, most of the glass 1/2 and 1 gallon jugs Ive tried have a concave bottom that doesn't keep the bar centered

Back