Long lag, off flavors

Brewer1056

Trial Member
Reaction score
Decided mid brew session a couple of weeks ago to make a small beer with the second runnings and some DME I had left over, so I ran to MLHBS while the wort just chilled out. Grabbed a dry yeast I'd never tried before (Mangrove Jack's M44) and pitched it straight to the wort, no starter, no rehydration. Took foooorrreveeer to show signs of fermentation, then ran hot for 3 days. Kegged it after a week of primary and a week of secondary (with dry hops), but there is some off flavor that I just can't identify. It's not astringent, I no-sparge and only drew off about 4 gallons of seconds, so I am assuming its a fusel alcohol. Any chance this is going to mellow, or do I now have a keg full of third (or fourth) beer?

2 things it could be, first some bacteria can cause this smell but most of the time you got a nose full of co2 coming off the wart, it should go away over time

My lager in November too 70 hours to get going. 46 F. It did have a cloying after taste but is slowly going away with lagering. Used WLP833 for the first time. I think most off flavours do go away with time. I say most, not all. I can usually tell what the off flavours are or how they were caused, but this year I had a couple that I had no idea how it got there. Wish I lived near a beer judge.

just a note: if you use buckets, change them every year, bacteria can hide in the smallest scratches and be a problem with off flavors

Back