Little Giant Pump Issue

LevanteJim

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Little Giant pump, model 3-md-mt-hc.
I use Keggles in my all-grain system and I can consistently get siphon on all keggles and completely drain them with no dead-space if I manually induce siphon (suck on the hose).

The pump seems to struggle to create siphon and generate a consistent outflow of water or wort.
If I can manually create siphon, then there are no leaks in my keggles, diptube and connections.

Is this pump simply not up to the challenge? Should I swap it out for a larger duty unit?

Thanks.

It can pump liquids up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. right on the boarder line on the heat problems, but all pumps have to be set up correct with ball valves and a way to bleed out the air in the lines, otherwise they get stuck in a vapor lock

Thanks, there is a ball valve on the out flow, however I do agree with you that I'm not purging the air in the lines/pump and creating proper siphon. More to come. Thx

I started out with a RIMS system found on Craigs List and was told by the guy that he had trouble getting pump work properly. I redesigned the system with the pump below everything else and have had no problems since. I'm assuming your keggles have drain valves near the bottom. As long as pump is mounted below these there shouldn't be air problems to deal with. Even a loop in the line can pocket the air and cause a cavitation when it gets to the pump.

Ive found a great way to eliminate all air problems, not the prettiest but very funtional.

put a T before the pump, ball valve on the up port, run a hose all the way to the top of the kettle, just purge the air with the ball valve

:idea: Nice thought QHB.

Back