Let's see your beer journals!

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Wort stained, crinkled pages, chicken scratch notes, let's see em! How do you keep records on your brewday?

I used to use 2 different colored highlighters to denote steps to complete vs information to record. My records are much simpler these days. I also have a beastly excel spreadsheet where I record EVERYTHING and can easily generate volume losses, grain absorption, days conditioning, etc.

20220928_084015.jpg
20220928_084006.jpg

Cool!
20220929_183423.jpg

Condensed milk ^^
Back in the extract part mash days
Before I discovered brewersfriend
20220929_183343.jpg

Also smaller batches Back then I had a little 15lt fermenter
Now all my notes are on BF or in my recipe folder these days they are protected behind a plastic slip
20220929_183951.jpg

I'll write some changes on the recipe or on the back I'll record more info but most of its in the bru Log on here.
Repeat brews of same recipe goes in the same plastic slip so I can see previous changes.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane @Sunfire96
Looking forward to others :)

Last edited:
Before I started using Brewer's Friend I created a Microsoft Word doc with all the important info and spots to enter info. The numbered circles on the left where I mark off how much water I have added so far. Now I use my fermenter with volume markings but back then I kept forgetting how many half-gallon measuring cups of water I had added. After joining BF I now take a screenshot of the recipe and paste that on one side. After brewday and bottling day I update BF with the numbers. So BF is my official brewer's log. However it is useful to refer back to the paper copy when I want to look at a recipe prior to altering it.

Logbook.jpg

Anyone else?:rolleyes:
I guess it makes sense that a lot of people use the digital record keeping built into the website :) but I find it really satisfying to write everything down in one place, just in case something happens to my brew sessions/recipes here. I need to get in the habit of filling out tasting score sheets when sampling the beer besides just drinking pints and thinking, yea this one's pretty good! :rolleyes:

All of mine are in the brew sessions on here. From brew 1-91. I do keep a separate schedule where I have brew date, racking date, and date to start drinking it. I schedule/plan on that but I do not keep separate journals

I have records on every beer I've ever brewed. Some are in an old Moleskine notebook, most are in a 3" 3-ring binder. I use a homemade data sheet to record my brews and all of the important data.
Flush it out and take a pic for us Nosey I like seeing how people record the brew day data!:).

I use the recipie print out nowadays but mostly brulog is where I'll go to to view previous recipes notes before proceeding with next batch​

Here it is, even in Word format. Feel free to use it if you want....

Attachments

• Brew Day Notes.pdf
    310.3 KB · Views: 45
My system BF and a three ring binder. Also, I have a Moleskine that I use for cooking as well as brewing lots of notes there.

Attachments

• 16653594460967447424479849303391.jpg
    16653594460967447424479849303391.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 35
LIke many of you, a binder full of paper. :D
Each page is a "plan" with the brew log on the front and a "real" (post fermentation) result, including rough tasting notes and general impression, on the back.
Beer-Journal.jpg

Back