Lemongrass: How to add

MarylandBrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Making a lemongrass Saison and i'm wondering if anyone has used lemongrass as an herb for flavoring. I'm thinking i'll make a tea out of some of the dried plants and add to conditioning vessel. But trying to upscale to a 5 gallon batch has me puzzled. Ideas?

thanks.

I'd blitz them up in a blender and add hot water make a tea

Last edited:
down here NOLA Brewing's 7th Street Wheat uses lemon basil. I'm not exactly sure the differences between lemongrass and lemon basil, but they say they add it post fermentation, so maybe they just do a sort of dry hopping technique? Not sure. It's a good drinking beer, good amount of that lemon character i'd expect from the description: http://nolabrewing.com/beers/7th-street-wheat/

I've used it to make lemon grass tea before I know it didn't impart to much flavour into tea. So will probably need to add a fair bit. I've got. A lemongrass bush out back I wouldn't mind giving this a crack.

Use it in the last minute of the boil. If you're using dried, just add to taste. If fresh, peel, bruise the stems and add.

Use it in the last minute of the boil. If you're using dried, just add to taste. If fresh, peel, bruise the stems and add.
Cheers Nosey I learnt something today ;)
Don't want,to crash this thread but have you read brulosophers latest exbeerment it's a beauty

Haven't. Thanks for the tip!

Back