Lemon / Dill Beer

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I was kicking a few ideas around, and this beer just popped into my head. Going for a paler, spring or summer type of beer. I'm not setup to lager, but I think that might be more appropriate for what is in my mind than an ale.
I've used Sorachi Ace and Citra together in a wheat before, and i like how it turned out. Maybe up the Sorachi and downplay the Citra a bit.
I'm wondering about the dill though. it seems like i could easily overdo it. Anyone have any experience using dill, either the weed or the seed?

interesting. i had mixed it with citra, in roughly even amounts if i recall correctly. maybe the dill got buried in there somewhere? or i just don't remember :D
what was the acidulated malt there for? i'm just now reading a little bit about ph, but it doesn't seem like that'd be a problem given the grain bill. unless i'm missing something?

My water needs help with lighter beers to get into that PH sweet spot. I just tried with a little acidulated as an experiment. No noticeable difference from using any other acid :lol:

with light beers its best to have a softer water, some people mix 50/50 tap and distilled to knock down then minerals and make it softer, I add phosphoric acid to lower my ph and Ive always had clean flavors, just a 1/2 cap full of 85% lowers 7.8 to 5.2 for me with no noticeable off flavors

Using acidulated malt, you're adding lactic acid. To get the pH you need, use either a blend of distilled/RO water and tap water, all distilled/RO water and add calcium to get to about 50 ppm. Key metric for water is residual alkalinity, as long as you're in the range for the grist you're using, your pH should buffer to the desired range.

Back