Late fermentable additions and "expected" boil gravity.

JimFisher

Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, so I have the occasional brew that requires a late addition of sugar. The latest was a dubble that added 1lb of dark candi sugar in the last 5 minutes (the previous was a Pliny clone with 1lb of corn sugar).

The problem is this: When I built the recipe, it calculates my "Boil gravity" as 1.044. But that assumes the sugar has been added. But the sugar is a late addition so that should NOT factor into my boil gravity. The first time I ran into this, I "undershot" my gravity so boiled off an additional 30 minutes (or so) to hit my predicted boil gravity. Then I added the sugar, saw my screw-up, and re-added the water that I had boiled off. That sucked.

Of course I can temporarily manually remove the sugar addition to get an accurate prediction of 1.039 but I ought not have to do that. There should be an option to label that as a late addition so it so that it is not factored into the boil gravity.

Surely there is a better way of doing that. I gotta be missing something here.

Attached is the partial recipe noting the discrepancy. One with, and one without the sugar addition:

Attachments

• with.PNG
    with.PNG
    81.6 KB · Views: 143
  • without.PNG
    without.PNG
    81.9 KB · Views: 132
The app has a Late Addition option. Surely the website does as well. Note the honey in this grain bill.

Attachments

• DF29D610-F293-4922-808F-3B00075EB8FF.png
    DF29D610-F293-4922-808F-3B00075EB8FF.png
    982.2 KB · Views: 146
It does. Same recipe as above

Attachments

• 4A500EAC-3BA0-41C1-AFF5-E101A92EABC9.png
    4A500EAC-3BA0-41C1-AFF5-E101A92EABC9.png
    370.3 KB · Views: 130
What the hell? I don't have that option on the desktop version.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-10-09 at 5.30.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2017-10-09 at 5.30.53 PM.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 134
You IT guys always have a tough time! I don’t write recipes on the desktop version, but when I opened my existing recipe and edited it, I saw the option. Click the down arrow, left side of the grain.

The option comes up on both.

And I'm not an IT guy, Jeffpn!, I own an IT company. Big diff! . . . That my excuse, anyway.

I somehow never saw that obnoxiously obvious, clear-as-day arrow on the left.

Thanks all.

And I'm not an IT guy, Jeffpn!, I own an IT company. Big diff! . . . That my excuse, anyway.

I somehow never saw that obnoxiously obvious, clear-as-day arrow on the left.

Thanks all.
Stuff happens. Welcome aboard!

Back