Late additions

Brewer #110455

Trial Member
Reaction score
This question is for a partial extract brew.
My recipe calls for a late 10 minute addition of 3.15lbs of LME. I'm substituting DME for this late addition. Will this give me a similar result?

At the very least you'll have to convert the amount. I think DME has more ppg than LME, Google will prove me wrong

DME is a lot harder to get into solution than LME, too. Take this into account with your timing and please, turn the burner off before you add it!

Thanks for the advice. I'm going all grain starting next year. Over the years I've been very happy with my results doing partial brewing, but I'm excited to take the next step. Brewing In a Bag seems like a reasonable approach to all grain brewing for me. Being in my sixties, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile investing in a complete system.

I'd agree with you there, adding a bag yo your current equipment is a heckuva lot cheaper than getting a while new rig.
One word of advice, you've got to be prepared to lift a big sack of wet grain. I've seen a few cool pulley systems out there too

5 gallon batches that start below 1.070 (or higher if you're a big dude) won't be too hard to lift out of the pot. I think my biggest grain bill is 13 lbs. Out of the kettle, into my old fermenter with an upside down colander in it so it can drain. Easy.

We use a 20% conversion from LME to DME.
In either setting, there is some difficulty getting the extract into solution.
Removing the pot from the stove or turning the burner off will help but remember to restart your timing countdown after everything is added and you get it back to a boil.
You may want to take about a quart out of your boil and dissolve the extract into that before returning it to the boil.
Good luck,
Brian

I'd agree with you there, adding a bag yo your current equipment is a heckuva lot cheaper than getting a while new rig.
One word of advice, you've got to be prepared to lift a big sack of wet grain. I've seen a few cool pulley systems out there too
Bought a cool ratchet pully recently for this so very handy. No more tieing the pully rope to keg handle!

I have one too, just a tip its best to have a double pulley system and the ratchet hook is at the grain bag, that way its easier to flip the release

Hange_em_High_Hoist_1024x1024.jpg

Bought a cool ratchet pully recently for this so very handy. No more tieing the pully rope to keg handle!
Great idea for sure. I have a Little Giant ladder that's rock solid and opens into a A frame. I can adjust it to the appropriate height needed to clear the wort and allow the grains to drain.

We use a 20% conversion from LME to DME.
In either setting, there is some difficulty getting the extract into solution.
Removing the pot from the stove or turning the burner off will help but remember to restart your timing countdown after everything is added and you get it back to a boil.
You may want to take about a quart out of your boil and dissolve the extract into that before returning it to the boil.
Good luck,
Brian
Thanks Brian

Back