Lactic Acid Question

Kirby

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How many grams of 100% lactic acid would be required to reduce the mash pH 0f 200kg

of malt by .1 pH unit?

I’m stumped on this and looking for a solution

Thanks!

I think you can find this out by creating a recipe here on B.F. with the malt in question and then use the built in brewing water calculator. It will give you pH based on your source water and grain info, and you're able to see how additions of lactic acid affects the pH.

Better even you can select desired PH and it will.give you the amount of lactic 88 to put in!

Agreed with all above: Water is a complex subject and since this is in the "Beginner" section, I'll give my "easy water" lesson. Step 1: Make sure you don't have chlorine or chloramine. If you're using well or other untreated water, you don't. If you do, dechlorinate with a single Campden tablet, ground, or a half-gram of sodium metabisulfite for ten gallons of water. It's overkill but it won't hurt anything. Step 2: Brew. As a beginner, no amount of water treatment will be noticeable, given the other variation in your process. Chlorine in water is noticeable even at a beginner level. The sulfate/chloride ratio is not.

Back