Kit Values in Recipe Builder

Brewer #62269

Trial Member
Reaction score
Now that the formalities of announcing myself are over.........

I wondered, putting my tin hat on here as I'm worried this might be deemed sacrilege to some of the more puritan brewers, is there any way of inputting the kit values into the recipe builder?

I'm a member at quite a few other homebrew sites and have obtained a certain spreadsheet all hail the great Ian (at least I think that's who created this thing of beauty) but wanted to utilise this info here as I really do love playing with the recipes builder here too.

Anyways I hope this isn't a stupid question, I was always taught if you don't ask you don't get.

Cheers

Hiyah Ozark,

Thanks for replying, to be honest any of the Coopers and Brewferm kits as that’s what I've been using. Original Series Draught as a base mainly although I'm happy to key in the details for all of the ones I use (Canadian Blonde, Australian Pale, Brewferm Diablo, Tarwebier and Triple) as and when I do them.

As said I'm happy to do any data entry but just getting lost trying to work out how to start making either my own custom library but happy if it is a universal library as in the rest of the fermentables. Actually another while I remember would like is Lyle’s Golden Syrup. I've been using the lightest candy syrup above clear but sometimes the OCD/anal tendencies in me just likes to have the right info. e.g. I had worked out the IBU of the Coopers draught and guessed they used pride of ringwood so just played with the figures in the hop section. But if its a tin of draught I'm putting in, or golden syrup or whatever really I'd like to actually have a representative list. I know I’m a sad wee manJ

Is it a case of making your own excel spreadsheet and naming it .xml or something and importing from there?

Sorry I think I warned earlier my heid is full of mince so questions are extremely random and over thinking nonsense is I something can’t seem to stop!

Thanks again

first your going to want to join, you only get to save a few as a trial member

The IanH spreadsheet ? it's a very handy little tool , i only stopped using it when i started partials since it locks steeping efficiency in at 60% thus throwing my numbers out
There is a BIAB version as well but i'm liking this site

Ahh I get you Ozark- I'll ponder a bit more before paying -funds are tight at the moment so luxuries are on the back burner.

To be honest Mark, I don't know how to properly utilise the spreadsheet functions or most of the functions on here re equipment and efficiency but I'm sure I'll get there as the obsession grips and the magpie traits gets too strong - already looking at Shiny catering equipment with a strange lust :)

Meantime I can still play with both and get a rough idea of where my beer will end up. I wish they had a homebrew course at high school, I think I would've got a lot better grades in the sciences if there was a real world incentive at the end of it, I know there's no better real world incentive than being educated but I think you get my drift. Same goes for driving lessons and traffic cops going round senior years taking their gory crash pictures and showing the young uns exactly what being a fanny behind the wheel real does and whilst I'm ranting and sign language - EVERYONE should be able to sign by the time they're 7.

Sorry for the rant think I'm still a wee bit inebriated from last night’s Euro Lager - who lowered the ceilings!!! :)

Hi Ozark I would like to pick up where this left off. Very keen on some advice on adding kit values to Brewersfriend. I too have been using IanHs spreadsheet. It’s great and has worked well but would like to use some cloud based tool that works nice on my phone - enter Brewers Friend! And more than happy to signup and pay, intend to expand into full extract and partial mash, but currently I am happy with using kit + some extracts & or specialty grains and extra hops. So.. how do we add kit values to a recipe on brewers friend?

Let’s say for example black rock golden ale can
https://www.blackrock.co.nz/component/spsimpleportfolio/21-golden-ale and will use that for this English IPA recipe https://www.blackrock.co.nz/recipes/english-ipa

It doesn’t appear that you can do much with the Golden Ale as all the ingredients (malts/specialty grains/hops) are already blended together with no amounts or type of ingredients.

The same goes for the English IPA unless you know what makes up the two 1.7 kilo blocks.

May I suggest you go for an extract kit that indicates all the ingredients so you can plug them into Brewers Friend Recipe builder.

Last edited:

Back