kettle vs fermenter

Hobbes

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm still having issues trying to get eff/bh numbers to line up... I notice when I toggle the "target" from kettle to fermenter nothing changes except the wording next to Efficiency. I'm assuming that efficiency number is BH eff because it's either "ending kettle" or "fermenter" and not "mash effeciency". Or is the software assuming some value for conversion?

I'm noticing that if I put "6.5" to the fermenter with 85% eff in the recipe editor and toggle "fermenter" to "kettle' that no values change... this seems odd to me if i have 4qt of dead space in my kettle. Having 6.5 in the fermenter with 4qt of dead space in kettle puts me at 7.5g in the kettle and my OG and IBU would be differetn than 6.5g in the kettle if nothing else changed. If i go into the equipment editor and make it say i have 5 gallons of dead space nothing seems to change. I would assume that putting exaggerated numbers would help expose the what's being used vs not being used.

For now, it appears toggling the equipment doesn't do anything. I have to put my pre-boil volume in manually, i have to toggle my post boil volume to be "kettle" before I transfer to fermenter or else the kettle losses won't be present. It may help if i could understand the volumes used to calc the OG/IBU so I can set these values correct regardless of what "batch size" says.

the difference is if you drain all of your wort out of the kettle into the fermenter you would pick fermenter, if you leave trub and hops in the bottom of the kettle then you pick kettle and your kettle losses will apply from your profile, it may or may not change anything in the recipe, only volume amounts and alcohol % of that recipe

the difference is if you drain all of your wort out of the kettle into the fermenter you would pick fermenter, if you leave trub and hops in the bottom of the kettle then you pick kettle and your kettle losses will apply from your profile, it may or may not change anything in the recipe, only volume amounts and alcohol % of that recipe

I get that.. but it appears to be display only. If i have 1gallon of losses from kettle to fermenter and i toggle the batch from "kettle" to "ferm" i'd expect OG to go down as the kettle would have an extra gallon of water to account for the losses. Only way to keep the OG and IBU the same would be to add water (pre-boil) AND increase grain/hops.

My complaint is that kettle losses do not seem to apply anywhere... i want the software to tell me how much pre-boil i need to start with to get 5g int the fermenter for my setup. I know i have 1g loss in the kettle and a 1.5g/h boil off so i need 14 gall pre-boil to get 12.5 post boil minus 0.5g shrinkage and losses of 1gallon resulting in 11gallons to split between two fermenters which will have 1/2 gallons losses due to trub/yeast and result in two full 5 gallon kegs. I know these values due to exp (and other software), and i can def plan for a "12.5 kettle" recipe but it'd be nice to see the software call these values out so i can adjust as my equipment adjust. I like to know all these values so I can check them off as i go along my brew day... it's important to know that a NEIPA with more hop absorption requires more pre-boil water or that a 90 min boil requires .75g more water pre-boil.

Back