Kettle Volumes based on depth of water

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
This has become my go to for tracking volumes in my BIAB kettle.
A simple calculator like the one found here https://manskirtbrewing.com/Calculators.aspx would be nice.

Even better would be the abilty to enter your kettle diameter in your profile, then have that used to calculate volumes based on depth.

thanks

T

There's some measurement error to contend with but on whole, you can treat your kettle as a cylinder, use depth and diameter to calculate volume and be close enough for homebrew: Formula is (pi)r^2h, yields cubic whatever you measure it in. In American units, it yields cubic inches. A gallon is, for some inscrutable reason, 231 of those, divide your results by 231 to get gallons. In Squirrel, divide by 1,000 to get liters, assuming you measured everything in cm.

I really wish Americans could understand division by powers of ten....

FWIW, I found this super useful and made sure to include it in my brewday calculator (originally designed for BIAB, but will work for any setup or process). Don't want to link to competing (kinda, sorta, not really) software, but you'll find it under my name.

FWIW, I found this super useful and made sure to include it in my brewday calculator (originally designed for BIAB, but will work for any setup or process). Don't want to link to competing (kinda, sorta, not really) software, but you'll find it under my name.
I link to your software often as I do find it very useful. I use priceless and brewersfriend every brew day.

I have found myself there many a brew day

Back