Kegging my barrel aged stout, filter or no?

Wi6673r

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have a heavily charred barrel that my stout is in and was wondering should I filter it out when I keg to.avoid small charcoal particles from getting into the beer?

If you do, it'll have to be a loose screen/bag over the intake end of the siphon. Anything other would risk aeration. Filtering finished beer from kegs or brite tanks can be achieved with in-line filters because high pressure can be used to push the beer though.

I've wondered the same. My lazy compromise is that I've started marking the bottles that I fill from closer to the bottom of the fermenter with a few dots. So when I'm checking how the beer is going I grab those first and pour off the first half taste that, and then pour the second half and try to remember that it may be full of other stuff.

It's just so much harder to know when you're hitting the crud at the bottom with those imperial stouts as there's generally a lot of crud, the beer is as dark as night and the fermenter is opaque.

edit: oops, kegging! I just use a small keg for these and keg the first half and bottle the second. So no helpful advice on kegging. Though I am thinking of these coarse filters that I don't believe need much pressure to work, but that's more for hop debris

Last edited:
If you went to a full size keg, cold crashed in the keg, and got one of those floating ball beer lines that goes and attaches to your keg, you could bottle from the top of the keg after cold crash is complete, then proceed with carbonating both in their separate ways, then that might just do it.

I’ll look up the device I mentioned and edit/update accordingly.

Here is the link: https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Top-Draw-Beer-Pick-Up-Tube-P4643.aspx

I just did a ris but I didn't barrel age it. I put it in secondary for 8 weeks then put it in a keg to carb it for another week then bottled it from the keg. Having 10 abv stout on tap is dangerous :eek:

I just did a ris but I didn't barrel age it. I put it in secondary for 8 weeks then put it in a keg to carb it for another week then bottled it from the keg. Having 10 abv stout on tap is dangerous :eek:

Yep, but it is very nice to just grab 100mL (3.5oz) at the end of the day.

thanks guys, i will probably go with a mesh filter over the siphon, im putting this on tap, and it was coming in at 15 %abv when i put it in secondary.

Back