Keezer failure

Buck S

Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a failure of their keezer using an stc1000 temp controller?
I built my first one with a lowes 5.4 cu.ft. freezer . It lasted 3 months. Since then I
Built a new one to fit 4 corny kegs and it crapped out after 3 months or so.
Any help would be appreciated

The freezer itself is failing? Bummer. I have 3 freezers controlled by STC-1000s. One keezer and two ferm chambers. No problems with any in two years. You might have some other contributing factor. Do you have another freezer nearby that isn’t temperature controlled and is problem free?

I have an older Pepsi cooler in the same room with no troubles. I kept the keezer at 3.7 degrees Celsius. We are in Ohio so it’s not like we are in extreme climates either. I like the freezer set up but now thinking about a fridge conversion for safety sake.

What part of Ohio? I’m in Beavercreek.

My keezer is set at 2°C or so. The ferm chambers are either 12.8° or 0°, depending on schedule.

Waterford 20 miles west of Marietta. Southeast

I lived in Steubenville for a few years.

Coincidentally, until last year, I was living in Oxford, Ohio. Back to the freezer problem though, so is the freezer being kept outside? And what is happening that it craps out? Like just not turning on anymore or can't keep cold, etc?

Do you have the control on the freezer turned all the way up? I assume that you do, but that would be a source of trouble. Otherwise, it's just compressor on and off just like it would normally do and there should be nothing to make trouble. I ran one chest freezer for a year and a half at various temps and it never gave trouble. Just replaced it with a slightly larger one from Home Depot and I hope it holds up okay.
If the two failures are on the same circuit, you might check the voltage at the output of the controller. Low voltage could definitely cause trouble, though it shouldn't be a problem with 110 at the level that these units require.

The keezer is kept in my butcher/brewing shop in my garage,insulated and heated in winter. It just stopped cooling. When I hooked up the controller I used the wires from the original thermostat. I also use an stc1000 in my walk-in cooler running an a/c unit. It will cool the room to 36 degrees F no problems in there.
The keezer is plugged into the same outlet as previous one,so I will check to see if there is a voltage problem.
I appreciate the help I’m just at a loss and need to keep on kegging

Back