Just had to brag

BOB357

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I took a ride out to a pond about a mile from home. Had my ultra light rod with a Joe's fly on 4 lb. test line. Flipped it out maybe 10 times when I thought I snagged. All of a sudden the drag started singing and the fight was on. The fish took off across the pond. then off to the left 30 or so yards. He fought hard for about 10 solid minutes before I finally won the battle.
Here's a pic of the 10 lb. flathead finesses in on 4 lb. test line:

Catfish.jpg

Nice looking fish! Beer batter for the frying?

Unfortunately. the pond is filled from an irrigation slough that feeds off of the Carson River. We're down stream from a bunch of mines, so the mercury level in the fish is too high for human consumption. I do chance smoking trout out of that pond, but quantities are small when we eat them. Not ready to start glowing in the dark yet.

Nice one. Used to catch big ones in irrigation sloughs and at the sutter bypass back in the day.

Nice one. Used to catch big ones in irrigation sloughs and at the sutter bypass back in the day.

BTDT, back when my folks lived in Marysville (Linda). Dad and I fished about every wet spot between 99 and I-5, from Sac to Shasta. The bypass was always great for cats. Of course we never jugged or used mud hen guts for bait;) That would have been illegal.

Hell yeah, I was chasing catfish in Wisconsin way back.
I enjoyed your post, thanks for sharing.

BTDT, back when my folks lived in Marysville (Linda). Dad and I fished about every wet spot between 99 and I-5, from Sac to Shasta. The bypass was always great for cats. Of course we never jugged or used mud hen guts for bait;) That would have been illegal.

16 years old - motorcycle - fishing pole - 22 - jug of wine - lantern . . .

Girl when you can get it

Bah I've been catfished before too! ;)

Really nice fish Bob!
Congrats!

Nice Cat Bob,
I thought you were going to tell us you won a gold metal or something!
Cheers,
Brian

Back