Just bottled first batch! Storage question

Jahlovebrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Does temperature matter when considering where to store bottles as you wait for them to carbonate? I put them in the garage @ 55 Farenheit. I am wondering if they will carbonate quicker in warmer temps but I dont have a ton of inside real estate.

They will carbonate quicker inside. 55F is better for long term stability.

I'd bring them in for a week or two (may take over 3 to fully carbonate), then put them in the garage or better yet in the fridge. I find home brew tastes best out of the bottle when it has had time to carbonate, and then spent a week in the fridge to help everything settle out.

After bottle conditioning, Beer should be stored as cool as possable. I have herd in an interview with Charlie Bamfourth,

http://www-foodsci.ucdavis.edu/bamforth/

that for every 10 degree Celsius increase in storage temperature, the beer will age roughly 2 to 3 times faster. So if you drink it quickly, no problem, but if you plan on long term storage, the cooler the better. Also colder temperatures facilitate the clarifying of the beer.

Just on this very matter. I have a Doppelbock bottled and I have carbonated with Coopers tabs. 4tabs / 75cl flip top bottle. Bottled almost 6 weeks now but has little life to it. They are stored on the bottom of my bedroom wardrobe so they're getting a good room temp. Could it be that the tabs were out of date and just dont carbonate anymore? Surely not? Or does Doppelbock need a longer time to prime correctly. Im treating it in the same way I did an Amber ale earlier in the year and after 4 weeks it was full of life

ChilliMayne said:
Just on this very matter. I have a Doppelbock bottled and I have carbonated with Coopers tabs. 4tabs / 75cl flip top bottle. Bottled almost 6 weeks now but has little life to it. They are stored on the bottom of my bedroom wardrobe so they're getting a good room temp. Could it be that the tabs were out of date and just dont carbonate anymore? Surely not? Or does Doppelbock need a longer time to prime correctly. Im treating it in the same way I did an Amber ale earlier in the year and after 4 weeks it was full of life
Is the seal on the Grolsch bottles good?

I would also suspect the seals. I don't use them, but have the occasional bottle given to me, and I have never been impressed with the carbonation level, yet the same batch bottled with proper caps was fine. You could try replacing the seals and re priming. Be sure to keep them warm. If you are worried about the yeast you could add a pinch of dry yeast when priming.You could even experiment with your next batch bottling half in Grolsch, and half in capped bottles.

Store them at room temperature - they should be good for up to a year. Cheers!

Nosybear said:
That would be awesome!
Unfortunately, my experience (as limited as it is...) has been somewhat different... :|
(caveat: I brew ales, don't chill, and bottle condition at room temp)
- bottle conditioning (after 2ndary) = 3 weeks
- after conditioning, beer is drinkable for ~3 months
- after ~3 months, beer is not *spoiled*, but not exactly ideally drinkable either...

I suppose it all depends on the beer style, yeast type, lagering, etc, etc, etc though. :roll:

There are always lots of variables! Use these numbers for comparison, actual mileage may vary....

sbaclimber said:
Nosybear said:
That would be awesome!
Unfortunately, my experience (as limited as it is...) has been somewhat different... :|
(caveat: I brew ales, don't chill, and bottle condition at room temp)
- bottle conditioning (after 2ndary) = 3 weeks
- after conditioning, beer is drinkable for ~3 months
- after ~3 months, beer is not *spoiled*, but not exactly ideally drinkable either...

I suppose it all depends on the beer style, yeast type, lagering, etc, etc, etc though. :roll:

3 months it not very long for beer to keep. I can expect mine to be good for a year.

Try getting oxy caps if you can, they are slightly more expensive but preserve the beer better. Also make sure if you rack to fill the secondary all the way to the top (plan ahead for the size of the secondary fermentor). Any oxygen exposure is bad during bottling / racking too. I just added a clamp to my siphon / hose connection so air doesn't get into the line when I'm racking.

Thanks again guys for the tips! I appreciate your responses. I am glad I joined here... great help for the beginning brewer.

One more note: If your beer is going bad in three months, check sanitation and make sure everything is clean, particularly at bottling. Cheers and happy brewing!

Nosybear said:
One more note: If your beer is going bad in three months, check sanitation and make sure everything is clean, particularly at bottling. Cheers and happy brewing!
It isn't going "bad" per-se. The flavor just changes noticeably (to me at least) to be more bland...
Maybe it is just the dry hop flavor which has dissipated that I am missing? (I dry hop all of my brews)

I have only had one beer actually go bad after 4 months, and that was many many brews ago.

Yes, dry hop flavor/aroma falls off rather quickly. Makes sense now.

+1 Dry hopping all your beers!

Just opened a 237-day old bottle of Koelsch. Tasted better than new! Cheers!

Back