Juicyish Pale Ale

Sandy Feet

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I was in Asheville this last May and visited White Labs a couple of times. I got to BSing with a homebrewer and some of the bartenders. I decided I wanted to play around with the Coastal Haze yeast. White Labs did have a recipe which I kind of modified for my own taste.
One of the things that I enjoyed this last visit was a more sessionable, tasty Pale Ale/IPA. I did make an all Cascade Pale Ale as one of my first few all grain batches that I enjoyed, but I wanted to try something different and maybe ask for some input.
First, I do plan on using some flaked oats. I know from experience that these will contribute very little to alcohol, so the ABV that I am showing is going to be higher than actual.
Second, one of our breweries did an all Mosaic Pale Ale which I loved. I haven't played with it, but I have liked in in almost everything I have tried. I want to bitter with Cascade and flavor with Mosaic. I am probably not going to dry hop, but I still might. If I do, it will be a direct hop dump into the fermenter at high krausen (day 2ish). No tea bags, just a simple dump through a sanitized funnel.
Third, a couple of the other breweries in town mix 2-Row with Pilsner, and I do taste the Pilsner in their Pale Ales. I figured what the hell, it is an experiment but will take advice. I'm thinking of using the Bohemian.
I used Crystal 40 before, but do y'all think that Crystal 60 might be better?
<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1297510" frameborder="0"></iframe>

only thing I would change (just me personally) is the hops. switched em. the mosiac is much higher AA, and if you are looking for a juicy flavor the cascade will provide the citrus you are looking for more. mosiac is a good hop, but is more floral and earthy. maybe add some citra hops for more citrus flavour.

I looked at Citra and actually tasted a single hop Pale Ale with it. It was a little, kinda - in your face- for my liking, but I am willing try in small quantities if you know a good place to add it.
Would you reverse the Cascade and Mosaic IBU for IBU as well?
This is good. I like learning sh*t:)

your IBUs will change, so you might have to adjust. I was thinking that ussualy you want the higher AA hops for bittering. plus you want the juicy effect, which the cascade will accomplish more. centennial, amarillo and chinook are good for that too.

citra has alot of citrus for sure, leaning towards grapefruit. cascade has a nicer balance, with some pine in there too.

I would keep your Cascade and Mosaic where it is, especially if you enjoyed a Mosaic pale ale recently. I would maybe move your Mosaic addition to flameout/whirlpool for more flavor and aromatics. You'll still get some bitterness from it, but not as much as at 10 minutes. But you'll keep more aromatic oils in your final product.

If it were me I would use Crystal 40 not 60, but it's your beer so whatever you want will work great :) If you dry hop it will help the beer be hazy, but it will also taste good without a dry hop. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out, cheers

I would keep your Cascade and Mosaic where it is, especially if you enjoyed a Mosaic pale ale recently. I would maybe move your Mosaic addition to flameout/whirlpool for more flavor and aromatics. You'll still get some bitterness from it, but not as much as at 10 minutes. But you'll keep more aromatic oils in your final product.

If it were me I would use Crystal 40 not 60, but it's your beer so whatever you want will work great :) If you dry hop it will help the beer be hazy, but it will also taste good without a dry hop. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out, cheers
Thanks!

I get more fruit forward like lovely tropical fruit from Mosaic it's one of my favourites I bet you'll love it in conjunction with citra.

SUNFIRE is on the money moving the hop additions into the flameout and dry hop if you want that flavour coupled with aroma.

This is what I'd do anyhow when using them new world hops.

Last edited:
I finally made this thing and bottled this morning. We shall see what happens when it carbonates, but flat and warm out of the fermenter, it tasted pretty damn good. I guess the flameout hop addition was also a good suggestion. Thanks.
I'm still getting used to the refractometer. It kind of gave me some goofy readings even adjusting for final gravity using the calculator. My hydrometer readings made a lot more sense.
If any of y'all want something with a juicy characteristic WLP067 is a cool yeast to play with and likes it around 69/70 degrees.

I finally made this thing and bottled this morning. We shall see what happens when it carbonates, but flat and warm out of the fermenter, it tasted pretty damn good. I guess the flameout hop addition was also a good suggestion. Thanks.
I'm still getting used to the refractometer. It kind of gave me some goofy readings even adjusting for final gravity using the calculator. My hydrometer readings made a lot more sense.
If any of y'all want something with a juicy characteristic WLP067 is a cool yeast to play with and likes it around 69/70 degrees.
Each refractometer will vary somewhat for its calibration when measuring fluid with alcohol in it. The solution is to generate a correction factor for that specific refractometer.

I usually don't use it post fermentation, except to see trends.

I was in Asheville this last May and visited White Labs a couple of times. I got to BSing with a homebrewer and some of the bartenders. I decided I wanted to play around with the Coastal Haze yeast. White Labs did have a recipe which I kind of modified for my own taste.
One of the things that I enjoyed this last visit was a more sessionable, tasty Pale Ale/IPA. I did make an all Cascade Pale Ale as one of my first few all grain batches that I enjoyed, but I wanted to try something different and maybe ask for some input.
First, I do plan on using some flaked oats. I know from experience that these will contribute very little to alcohol, so the ABV that I am showing is going to be higher than actual.
Second, one of our breweries did an all Mosaic Pale Ale which I loved. I haven't played with it, but I have liked in in almost everything I have tried. I want to bitter with Cascade and flavor with Mosaic. I am probably not going to dry hop, but I still might. If I do, it will be a direct hop dump into the fermenter at high krausen (day 2ish). No tea bags, just a simple dump through a sanitized funnel.
Third, a couple of the other breweries in town mix 2-Row with Pilsner, and I do taste the Pilsner in their Pale Ales. I figured what the hell, it is an experiment but will take advice. I'm thinking of using the Bohemian.
I used Crystal 40 before, but do y'all think that Crystal 60 might be better?
<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1297510" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Still on the upward steep learning curve and brewing all grain clone recipes before I dive into creating my own. Can anybody suggest a recipe to me that will achieve a banging, really hoppy, big juicy IPA please?

I've got an unexpected day off work on Monday which let's face it is crying out BREW DAY!

I love all IPAs that are like my decription. Notably ones from Magic Rock, Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Beavertown etc

Have a few 100g bags of hops - Simcoe, Nelson Sauv, Chinook but happy to buy whtever recipe suggests and use these another time

If you want juicy, the Coastal Haze yeast that I used DOES work. The hops you use and the quantities are up to your palate. I found out what I liked at the local breweries in single hop Pale Ales and went from there. I should have used a few more IBUs and a dry hop in my recipe.
Recipe wise, IPA/Pale Ales are fairly basic. Your base will be 2-Row, Pilsner, or both. Add 1/2 lb Crystal 40 for 5 gallons and maybe a little wheat for head retention. NE styles usually have some Flaked Oates (I used 1lb for 5 gallons). NE styles also use more late addition hops vs. bittering hops.
My first attempt was a single hop Pale Ale. I used Cascade and it came out pretty good. If you are on a learning curve, I would only use one or two hops so you can see what you like and what you don't.
If still looking for recipe ideas, The Mean Brews videos on You Tube were very helpful for some of my recipes.

Still on the upward steep learning curve and brewing all grain clone recipes before I dive into creating my own. Can anybody suggest a recipe to me that will achieve a banging, really hoppy, big juicy IPA please?

I've got an unexpected day off work on Monday which let's face it is crying out BREW DAY!

I love all IPAs that are like my decription. Notably ones from Magic Rock, Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Beavertown etc

Have a few 100g bags of hops - Simcoe, Nelson Sauv, Chinook but happy to buy whtever recipe suggests and use these another time
Look up Wayner's Pale Ale for ideas.

Back