Juice into Brew Calculator

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Brewer #50731, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Brewer #50731

Brewer #50731 New Member

Greetings,

I am using the brew calculator to plan a cider I am planning on making. As it is a cider, I am planning on using some apple or apple/pear juice in the mix. But I am not finding anywhere to enter this in the calculator as it is a fermentable and is going to have an impact.

Is there a place to enter it? Am I not seeing it? Or is there a way around it?

Regards,
    Wolfgang

2. FastEddie631

FastEddie631 New Member

I've not looked at the calculator in a while, but I calculated the OG/ABV by taking some of the mixture that goes into the fermenter and tossing that into the hydrometer.

3. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

If you're making cider, you'll likely use the pure fruit juice. Take a gravity reading before pitching and that's your OG, no different than wine. If you're diluting, you'll have to use proportions - simple math. The ratio of your gravity points will equal the ratio of your volumes. Expressed as a formula:

Volume of addition = (Volume before dilution * (Actual gravity points - Target gravity points)) / Target gravity points