JSON Recipe API incomplete

Vito

Trial Member
Reaction score
The API
https://api.brewersfriend.com/v1/recipes/:recipe_id

returns only recipe summary. There is no fermentable, hops, mash steps, and etc.

BeerXML API
https://api.brewersfriend.com/v1/recipes/:recipe_id.xml
does include the necessary information.

I am developing a brew controller and want to import recipes from brewersfriend.com without exporting them into BeerXML first. The processor of the controller is not powerful enough to do HTTPS, so I designed to make the browsers fetch the recipes. The problem is Same-Origin policy. Unless CORS is supported by brewersfriend.com, JSON is the only way to go. However, lake of necessary and important information makes the JSON API useless.

Please complete the JSON recipe response.

The API
https://api.brewersfriend.com/v1/recipes/:recipe_id

returns only recipe summary. There is no fermentable, hops, mash steps, and etc.

BeerXML API
https://api.brewersfriend.com/v1/recipes/:recipe_id.xml
does include the necessary information.

I am developing a brew controller and want to import recipes from brewersfriend.com without exporting them into BeerXML first. The processor of the controller is not powerful enough to do HTTPS, so I designed to make the browsers fetch the recipes. The problem is Same-Origin policy. Unless CORS is supported by brewersfriend.com, JSON is the only way to go. However, lake of necessary and important information makes the JSON API useless.

Please complete the JSON recipe response.

Yes, we can add this to the recipes endpoint json response.

Thanks @avantassel!

@Vito, I've created a ticket for the request. There are a few things that are more pressing so I can't say when this will be completed due to prioritizations. Once we get to this, and it moves to beta, and then gets released I will comment on this thread so you're up to day.

Any thoughts about loosening up the CORS protection? I've had a couple of ideas for status pages that could be front end only if the CORS protection was disabled, but need a server with the current configuration. Not that I'm saying it should be, it is a big can of worms to open.

Maybe subscribers can nominate URLs for exceptions through the integrations page?

Good evening! Has there been any movement on this request to update the recipes endpoint JSON response? I too really need to have my fermentables, yeast, hops, and other ingredients included with the other recipe data currently available. Thank you for the great work being done to make BF the best brewing software.

Good evening! Has there been any movement on this request to update the recipes endpoint JSON response? I too really need to have my fermentables, yeast, hops, and other ingredients included with the other recipe data currently available. Thank you for the great work being done to make BF the best brewing software.

Thanks for the followup, there is a pending update to expand the recipe API to include ingredients that is undergoing testing. Hope to release soon!

I just added the new ingredient parameter to my query, and it works great! Thank you very much. Is it possible to allow the default limit=20 when using the ingredient parameter to be reset using the limit parameter in a future update? I have 103 recipes, some are revisions the same brew, and I am just getting started. I would like to be able to track the evolution of ingredients relative to tasting notes, and the limit=20 makes that very difficult. As an interim fix, is it possible to select first 20, second 20, etc., using the existing query parameters, so I can programmatically extract ingredients for all recipes?

I just added the new ingredient parameter to my query, and it works great! Thank you very much. Is it possible to allow the default limit=20 when using the ingredient parameter to be reset using the limit parameter in a future update? I have 103 recipes, some are revisions the same brew, and I am just getting started. I would like to be able to track the evolution of ingredients relative to tasting notes, and the limit=20 makes that very difficult. As an interim fix, is it possible to select first 20, second 20, etc., using the existing query parameters, so I can programmatically extract ingredients for all recipes?
I haven't used the API's that much, so I will reach out to one of the developers and ask them reply here.

Yes you will use the offset parameter, so
limit=20, offset=0 then limit=20, offset=20 (to get the next 20 - 40)

Back