January 22nd Updates

avantassel

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We are released some updates that we've had beta testing for the past few months, here is the list. If you'd like to preview changes on our beta or pro site please send us a message. Cheers []p
  • My Recipes - Mobile bug selecting group in my recipes was going to that group in my brew sessions.
  • Recipe Builder - Added a dropdown next to Late Addition to allow you to specify when you will be adding the late addition. This will more accurately calculate pre and post boil gravity, OG, FG, IBU and ABV. The default selection is nothing and will continue to work as it had been.
  • Recipe Builder - Added fermentable points calculated by multiplying PPG * amount. This will change with efficiency.
  • Recipe Builder - Fixed loading Post Boil Volume.
  • IBU Calculator - Adds hop utilization factor and altitude adjustment to the IBU calculator. This already existed in the recipe builder. https://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

The changes to recipe builder are very important regarding late additions, and improved calculations for preboil and postboil gravities to account for losses in preboil and postboil volumes.

I'll edit this post to expand further when I get home.

Recipe Builder - Late additions.

Added a dropdown next to Late Addition for fermentables to allow you to specify when you will be adding the late addition. This will more accurately calculate pre and post boil gravity, og, fg, ibu and abv. The default selection is nothing, and will continue to work as it had been for a normal mash addition.

In the example gif attached below, I'm using 1 lb of Belgian candy sugar that's 38 points.

Late:mashtun is equivalent to adding during the mash, or at preboil since equipment mashtun losses are not taken into account right now.

So the preboil gravity, and postboil have 38 points added to them, and OG has 35 added to it. Where 34.8 = (38 x 5.5 gal batch size / 6.0 gal post boil).

For kettle additions it's equivalent to a postboil additions, so 38 points are added to postboil gravity, and 35 points are added to OG. A kettle addition does not affect IBU calculations since it's added after the boil.

Fermentor additions are equivalent to being added after the OG reading. So it goes, transfer wort to fermenter, then take OG reading, then add fermentable. This does affect final ABV, but not the OG reading.

Recipe Builder Total gravity points- Added fermentable points calculated by multiplying PPG * amount (wort volume). This will change with efficiency and is found in the >MORE/Batch Stats section.

5) Recipe Builder Boil gravities - Improved formula for preboil and postboil gravities to better utilize the recipe boil volumes and batch size.

The short version of this change is that postboil and preboil are calculated backwards from the OG based on the respective volumes, and efficiency.

The preboil and postboil gravitiy are updated to correctly use the preboil, postboil, and batch size volumes. Any positive volume difference between postboil, and batch size are assumed to be wort losses, and the equivalent amount of total gravity points are also discarded without changes to postboil gravity. So postboil gravity should match the OG under almost any scenario.

If postboil volume is less than batch size then it will be treated as a water top off. The total gravity points in that scenario will be held constant, so no wort or sugars are lost, and the postboil gravity will be higher than currently to account for the dilution.

We've done thorough testing for the changes to how gravity is calculated throughout the brewday, so please let us know if there is any confusion or issues that you encounter so we can ensure clear documentation, and that the functionality meets user expectation.

Note: There is some strangeness that can occur when brewhouse or kettle efficiency is set to a higher value than is realistically possible. Example if you set brewhouse to 100%, you can get preboil and postboil gravities that are greater than 100% of the fermentables potential due to the wort losses. If you lose 10% of your wort volume due to grain absorption, and 5% to kettle trub losses, then you're setting your brewhouse 15% higher than is realistically possible with your equipment and process. This may be addressed via warnings in a later update by integrating conversion efficiency.

Attachments

• late additions1.gif
    late additions1.gif
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 114
While formulating a recipe with sugars which I plan on adding to the fermenter, I notice that when selecting late addition, the OG points go away, which I expect but why would the FG and ABV be affected? Am I using this wrong?

Hi @JimS, thanks for asking.

The late:fermentor additions correspond to adding after the wort enters the fermentor and after the OG reading is taken.

This is why it does not affect the OG, but does affect the abv and fg.

Hypothetical scenario to make math easy:

10 gallons of 1.050 wort, 500 gravity points. 70% attenuation for a fg of 1.015 and abv of 4.59%

Now let's add 1 lb of sugar at postboil,

1.037 PPG, giving us 10 gallons @ 1.0537 sg, 537 gravity points. Attenuation of 70% gives fg 1.016 and abv of 4.93%

If the sugar is added to fermentor
10 gallons @ 1.050 at og,
Then after the OG reading the new fermentor gravity becomes 1.0537
The abv and fg are then calculated from this gravity.

It might make more sense to change the term late: fermentor to late: fermentation now that I write it all out again.

Let me know if that makes sense or if you have any questions!

Back