Is Mr. Beer fermenter still usable?

StanB

Trial Member
Reaction score
Someone gave me a Mr. Beer fermenter that had been in his attic for quite a while. I would like to use it as a 2 gallon fermenter. I understand it does not have an airlock and somehow releases through the top. How can I tell if it still works without wasting 2 gallons of wort. And are there any other reasons to not use it as a fermentor?

Just make sure it is extra clean. Run some iodofur through it.
Worst case on the "airlock" would be drilling a hole and installing one

This dude says there are notches in the lid starting about 1:26. Since there are no moving parts, there shouldn’t be any issues. Also, heed @Minbari ’s advice.

When I make my primitive cider, I fermented right in the apple juice bottle. I just leave the lid loose so the pressure doesn't build up. Haven't had an infection yet. I would imagine Mr. beer uses a similar principle

Thanks for the replies, especially the video. Looks like I am good to go and have a 2 gallon fermenter now.

To tell the truce, it may be damaged. Maybe you should clean it really well before using it. Otherwise, you fermentation may be spoiled

The hardest part will be cleaning the spigot.
Make share you take it apart

New To tell the truce, it may be damaged. Maybe you should clean it really well before using it. Otherwise, you fermentation may be spoiled
As for the armistice, it may be damaged. You should probably clean it very well before using it. Otherwise the fermentation could be ruined. I really like this beer and the equipment to make it I found it on cleaning a plastic fermenter, but I have noticed a tendency to find it quite difficult to clean. Therefore, I believe that if containers are used, they should be washed thoroughly. Although I recently read an article that beer has some enzymatic properties. It can help plants grow faster and can improve soil quality. What do you guys think? Is it true? I'm a little skeptical of that claim.

Are there any of us that didn't start with one of those things LOL?
Make sure that thing does NOT go in the dishwasher. The plastic will melt.
If you want to clean something that you will put wort in, Star San. 1oz for 5 gallons of water. You can get it at the brew stores or online. I make sure my 6-gallon fermenter is cleaned well and has sanitizer in it for a few days before I brew because it is stored in a garage. Clean it immediately after bottling too. Don't know about plants.

Back