Is a Keezer Essential?

Daanidog

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a Cornelius keg, basic gas system and associated bits to move on from bottle conditioning. My question is whether or not a Keezer is essential or can I not just put the keg in a barrel with ice cooled water? The keezer would be the next project.

Sure you could do that. Sounds like a lot of maintenance though. I've heard of people who store their keg at room temperature but run a line through a fridge or freezer to chill the beer as its being drawn. Less than ideal, but some do it.

I bought my keezer before my kegs and had the thing set up perfectly with my diy controller, its more of an investment than you think, right jeff! he just went through it. its good to buy things a little at a time, you don't realize all at once the huge amount you pay for this glorious hobby :D

Right you are!!

It is possible to get a freezer cheap or free if you're lucky and patient. My temp controller (2 stage) cost around $50. The kegs and associated hardware are expensive, as in quickly adding up. I found a place that sells a pair of ball lock kegs for about $90. I bought a new 10.2 cubic foot freezer and 6 kegs. My system probably ran me about $1,200 when all is said and done. A 5 cf freezer for a 2 keg system would be considerably cheaper, especially if you get a deal on the freezer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 250
Thanks for the input and advice. I love that Keezer. Wow! :)

Thanks! Turns out I'm not a woodworker, so I hired the collar built. My daughter is the artist.

Back