IPA lacking aroma- GALAXY to the rescue?!

Hop fiend

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I've currently got a 38 litre batch of Punk IPA clone in the conical and earlier dumped out the yeast and dry hopped her with

60 g Cascade

32 g Chinook.

I had thought that this would be sufficient to boost the aroma but when I drank the hydrometer sample before dry hopping there was next to no aroma present at all! The recipe is:

10 kg Marris Otter Malt

100 g Bravo [14.00 %] - Boil 12 mins

36 g Chinook PELLETS [14.10 %] - Boil 5 mins

32 g Ahtanum [5.30 %] - Boil 5 mins

32 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5 mins

32 g Ahtanum [5.30 %] - Knockout

32 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Knockout

32 g Chinook PELLETS [14.10 %] - Knockout

30 g NBS west coast dry yeast (2 packets.)

I misunderstood the 12 minute Bravo addition so this was added at 60 minutes, which I know will dramatically cut the amount of flavour and aroma but I did expect something. I mashed it low at 64 deg c and so has a lovely clean, light body and therefore fermented down to 1.009 from 1.054. I cooled the wort down to 18 deg c in 8 minutes with my plate chiller and attached a blow off tube into some starsan.
It's been fermenting in my fermentation fridge at 19.5 deg c for 17 days so far and so decided today felt like the right time to dump the yeast and dry hop it. I'm after a really hoppy result and I'm thinking a good load of Galaxy, (like the whole 100g packet) might just be what I'm looking for! :p I've also got Citra, Victoria secret, Columbus, Ahtanum and Chinook so any ideas on which and amounts would be appreciated!
I should say that I do like really hoppy IPA's and I know I've gotten used to aroma and bitterness as Goose Island IPA hardly smells at all to me now but the first time I smelled it, it nearly blew my sinuses! Maybe I'm just getting used to it?!
Thanks for reading and your thoughts,
Cheers, Ollie :)

if you think it needs more aroma, then definitely dry hop. i like galaxy a lot, and last night i had a beer i loved that was dry hopped with galaxy. Let us know what happens

oliver said:
if you think it needs more aroma, then definitely dry hop. i like galaxy a lot, and last night i had a beer i loved that was dry hopped with galaxy. Let us know what happens

Ok cheers Oliver will do!

Back