IPA in a WINE GLASS???

LarryBrewer

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Went to Deschutes in the Pearl district in Portland this week. Had one of their seasonal IPAs - they used a Belgian yeast strain on it. It was okay but I probably wouldn't order again or try and brew it.

When they brought it to me in this glass, at first I thought there was some mistake. They call this a snifter? It felt wrong, wrong wrong... A snifter should be shorter, and not as angular. Call me a purist!

Attachments

• 2013-05-16 19.26.12.jpg
    2013-05-16 19.26.12.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 740
I've read the glass doesn't matter nearly as much as we beer snobs would like to believe. But an IPA with Belgian yeast - that just sounds nasty, phenolic and bitter.

That does look it a little weird.

I've made IPA/DIPA with Belgian yeast. The result is usually a fruity mid-pallet along with the hoppy aroma which can be good as long as they are balanced.

The point of a wine glass (I'm both a beer and wine geek) is to concentrate the aroma of the wine since 90% of what we taste is really what we smell. Late hop additions (<5 min) and dry hopping give beers more hop aroma which a wine glass would accentuate more than a standard pint glass. The problem is a wine glass is designed to serve 6 oz of wine, not 10-16oz of beer so the stem is too long for correct balance. Dogfish recently partnered with a wine glass making company to create a "perfect" IPA glass (http://www.dogfish.com/store/glassware/ ... -glass.htm). I have a couple and there is a difference drinking an IPA in it vs a standard glass.

I need to add one of those glasses to my collection!

Indeed the balance did feel off with the beer in such a tall glass.

Here's to enjoying an aromatic IPA!

Back