Iowegian on the loose.

el Roncho

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I had signed up before but I changed emails and now I cannot use my previous email addy to get in and change to my new one...becaaaause, I have a vacation notice on my old addy and now my yahoo mail is in a continuous loop. I was hombre, and/or hombre243 but now I am el Roncho. My Dad always called me that so I kinda like it.

I am in a quandary...I used the Brewers Friend calculator to determine how much priming Dex I should use as it is my first time with Coopers Preachers Hefe, and my first batch prime. I had no idea what the carb level should be so I just went to the 4.0 recommendation. Most of my extract brews have been Coopers and none offer good head retention and very little foam anyway. Needless to say, no pretty lacing either even though I used Carapils and even maltodextrin. I have all the bottles enclosed in a cooler. No muss no fuss if everything boils over.And I wanted it to be a really good batch too.

(Of course I printed it out and then misread it. I used the wheat DME line for 5.5 gallons at the 4/0 level and the temp of 72*. Wheat DME was 14 oz. But I used Dex. That was supposed to be 10.3 oz.. I just primed it last night. How bad am I in trouble?

If I don't survive this sunami of Hefe thanks for the help anyway.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bit more carbonation for your hefes which will fit perfectly into tgis highly carbonated style of beer. Putting them in a cooler in case of explosions may be a safe idea;).

Sounds like a bit more carbonation for your hefes which will fit perfectly into tgis highly carbonated style of beer. Putting them in a cooler in case of explosions may be a safe idea;).

Thanks. I always carbonate in a couple coolers. Just in Case. I know it is going to be heavy on the foam. I just wondered if what I used was way too much, or was actually safe, though not preferable. I guess I will find out soon enough. I want to do some Cerveza next so I will be needing a couple more coolers.

If the lids do start popping off I will just have a party and hand out long straws. o_O

This what I got on the second day.

Attachments

• Second Day Wheat.jpg
    Second Day Wheat.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Thanks. I always carbonate in a couple coolers. Just in Case. I know it is going to be heavy on the foam. I just wondered if what I used was way too much, or was actually safe, though not preferable. I guess I will find out soon enough. I want to do some Cerveza next so I will be needing a couple more coolers.

If the lids do start popping off I will just have a party and hand out long straws. o_O

This what I got on the second day.
What you got that 2 days into bottle conditioning I guess that wheat is throwing some good head on that beer already! Maybe a good week storing cool in fridge will help before drinking? I don't bottle anymore but something that comes to my mind is DME isn't as Fermentable as Dextrose so if you swapped the Dex with the DME and primed with the extra amount of DME which won't ferment out as much as the Dex would of you just may be safe:rolleyes::p. But err on the side of caution for a couple of weeks try and keep them bottles in a steady temp the cooler should help with that. Good luck the beer looks yum

What you got that 2 days into bottle conditioning I guess that wheat is throwing some good head on that beer already! Maybe a good week storing cool in fridge will help before drinking? I don't bottle anymore but something that comes to my mind is DME isn't as Fermentable as Dextrose so if you swapped the Dex with the DME and primed with the extra amount of DME which won't ferment out as much as the Dex would of you just may be safe:rolleyes::p. But err on the side of caution for a couple of weeks try and keep them bottles in a steady temp the cooler should help with that. Good luck the beer looks yum

I think I will check one about every 3 days and when / if one gets violent I will put as many as will fit, in the fridge. It did not come out with the banana or clove. But it is hard to keep a good mid temp in my apartment especially in the summer. Winter is n the way so I will try again then. My WYeast did not have much spunk when I popped the nutrient bag. Overnight it barely puffed up the foil bag it came in. I made a starter and got 1 day of airlock activity. But I let it set. I brewed on 8/27 and bottled on the 14th. I a sure the yeast finished what it needed t do. Next time I will drive the 30 miles to get fresh yeast instead of ordering online.

(I had the same trouble using culture packets for yogurt and cheese...seems no one bothers to keep it cool. The WYeast ice pack was hot when I got it. It was in the fridge a couple weeks but I think it was too far gone. I barely got any activity out of the starter and the yeast did not make much of a showing on the top of the wort.

I will keep trying though. Some of my neighbors cannot tell the difference between crick water and bad beer. They drink anything I shove at them. :confused:

I think I will check one about every 3 days and when / if one gets violent I will put as many as will fit, in the fridge. It did not come out with the banana or clove. But it is hard to keep a good mid temp in my apartment especially in the summer. Winter is n the way so I will try again then. My WYeast did not have much spunk when I popped the nutrient bag. Overnight it barely puffed up the foil bag it came in. I made a starter and got 1 day of airlock activity. But I let it set. I brewed on 8/27 and bottled on the 14th. I a sure the yeast finished what it needed t do. Next time I will drive the 30 miles to get fresh yeast instead of ordering online.

(I had the same trouble using culture packets for yogurt and cheese...seems no one bothers to keep it cool. The WYeast ice pack was hot when I got it. It was in the fridge a couple weeks but I think it was too far gone. I barely got any activity out of the starter and the yeast did not make much of a showing on the top of the wort.

I will keep trying though. Some of my neighbors cannot tell the difference between crick water and bad beer. They drink anything I shove at them. :confused:
Damn yep one of my local homebrew stores is a bit flamboyant with his hop storage just pops em in a bag roughly sealed in the fridge. You could step the starter twice to try and get more activity but gotta be careful your not culturing up wild yeast. Yep fresh yeast is best.

So far very good. It is day 4.5 and because I have no patience and I have no experience with this particular beer, I taste it every day now. I bottled on 9/14 mid day and each day I taste a big difference. Today the clove is starting to show it's lovely head. So far, No we have no bananas today...

Plenty of foamy head but it does not last a long time. It does not matter much to me. I want to drink beer, not foam. I think it will be just right on the day I finish the last bottle. I do like the flavor...and the crispness of a glass bottle rather than a PET plastic bottle. I think if I learn to be patient I may be able to allow the beer to condition longer, but so far that is ain't happening.

This is a standard Coopers Preacher's Hefe. Here is my recipe:
(Next batch is a Coopers Cerveza.)

Brew 6 Gallons of Coopers Preachers Hefe. (8/27/2017)

1 can extract.

2.5 lbs of wheat DME

1 lb. Dex

1/2 gal. of liquid yeast starter made from 1 Wyeast packet. #3068 and wheat DME

1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient.

Steep 4 oz. Carapils Grains for body; 20 minutes at 180*.

SG 1.045

Brew temp 72*. (on Fermometer)

Time 2:30 P.M.

Fermentation began within an hour.

Fermentation should be complete is 2 weeks. Check SG level on 9/10.
FG should be around 1.008-1.014.

Final ABV is calculated at +/- 6.7-7.0% because of the excess dex used in priming.

(actually bottled on 9/14)

Back