Io star?

weldedsord

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I went to my lhbs to grab some ingredients and when purchasing my ingredients the owner said I was a consistent buyer and gave me a big bottle of Io star he was getting rid of that product he says its a good sanitizer is it like star san? should I use it is it good?

so I need to rinse it with just water? doesn't seem that hard

I used that stuff when I first started. The guy at the LHB knew I was a rookie and he sold it to me like it was what everyone used. I think he was just tryin to get rid of it because everyone buys Star San. That being said it IS no rinse. I still have half a bottle and the instructions say to "Drain" and no mention of needing to rinse. I did some research back when I was tryin to figure out what to use for sanitizing. My recollection is that Star San has a better shelf life once diluted. On the other hand Star San has foam which some people are scared of. Then there is the possibility that iodine will kill some microbes that Star San will not.

Here is the manufacturers PDF. Clearly says you don't have to rinse but I would drain as much out of the vessel as possible because it has kind of an iodine smell. Plus you don't want to spill it on your clothes because it will stain.

https://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/IOStarTech2.pdf

Scott

Last edited:
Extra goodness: You can use it for starch conversion testing.

It is no rinse if you make it to the dilution recommended by the manufacturer. It is a very good sanitizer and is used in some commercial breweries.

It's Iodophor, and is no rinse if diluted to the proper strength. Drain well and/or air dry. It will leave an orange tint on softer plastics. As Nosy said, it works well for iodine tests. Once mixed with water the effectiveness drops off pretty quickly, so it doesn't work well for keeping a spray bottle handy. I keep a bottle handy and sub it in for Starsan occasionally just as an extra precaution.

The effectiveness goes away when the solution loses color. That shouldn't happen for a couple days at least. So you can keep it around for a while. I just make a fresh batch every time though, I'm not using it every day.

Back