Inventory deductions for Yeast Starters

plutek

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
greetings!

currently, there's no way to auto-deduct fermentables used in a yeast starter, if you record the starter as a log entry in your main brew session, right? the yeast can be auto-deducted because it appears in your recipe, but there's no way to designate some DME used in a starter for inventory deduction.

the only workaround i've come up with is to have a separate recipe for the starter, and brew it as a separate session, but that's an awkward solution, at best - it makes more sense to have the starter recorded as part of the main brew session, i think, but then i have to manually deduct my starter fermentables.

is this wort implementing, or does someone have another solution?

cheers!
.pltk.

I guess if you brew extract this may be an issue seeing as your using up some DME from your primary batch. I usually pitch my starters And don't decant so I factor this starter volume into my brew it's like 2% of total volume of batch so any weird flavours are going to be dealt with with the yeast. Either way I'm happy with the way the recipe calculator is.

for me, the starter is a separate process, which doesn't really impact brew stats. i brew all-grain and i decant the starter, leaving just enough liquid to be able to pour it into the wort. so the DME used is pretty much all tossed, and impacts only my inventory.

i would suggest just having an ingredient field in the brew session yeast starter log entry, with an option to deduct anything entered there from inventory.

Back