Infected beer?

Tomas Brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

Right..A few months ago I brewed Belgian Witbier which tasted a bit sour ish, not normal (I ve done this recipe before successfully). Very very cloudy, I thought its strange even though its wheat beer. FG was 1.008 so I bottled it. Couple weeks later I tried a bottle - it was no better. Beer was fairly sparkly with no foam (head) ..reminding cider of some sort. I thought I ll give it another few weeks with a hope it ll get better. Unfortunately it never did, It was still cloudy, sparkly, yeast looked like floating gel/gum when you shake it. So it went down the drain. :x

Now, I recently made another beer which is Roggen (rye 55%). After 16 days of fermentation I checked gravity (1.012) and was ready to bottle but the taste reminded me my faulty witbier. Beer looks very cloudy again with the little sour taste :oops: So instead of bottling it I only did couple of bottles and put rest of it to second fermentation. To give myself time to think what to do next. (I never did two stages of fermentation before).

Is 16 days not a little too late for secondary ? It was fermented at around 20 C
Any thoughts or tips on any bit?
..Thanks guys

Right off the bat, I'd say do a deep clean of everything you've got. Maybe even think about replacing any plastic buckets or carboys that are scratched up a bit.

Yeah! I already got rid of the plastic fermenter which I bought second hand with dodgy sponge seal in the lid...so eliminated one of the possibilities. Thanks
Unfortunately i cannot remember which fermenter was witbier in as I have few, possibly same one (others -brand new).
:roll:

How about this roggen beer I left for second fermentation? How many days should I give to it?
Ta

For my ales, I secondary for two weeks. It's just what I do.

Tomukas said:
How about this roggen beer I left for second fermentation? How many days should I give to it?
Ta
Secondary isn't a second fermentation. It's just a chance for the yeast to finish what they started so to speak. you can leave a beer in secondary for several weeks if you want as long as the temperature stays consistent.
It does sound like you have a wild yeast bugging you though. One sour no biggy but the second is something to pay attention to. No head could mean a bacteria maybe? Good luck, sometimes cleaning works but sometimes more is needed.

I was thinking..when I m cooling wort down I sometimes have window opened next to it. Its 100L system and it takes me at least an hour to cool it down.I only use double imersion chiller .Also while chilling pot is not covered. I guess it better be?
I will definately work on speed up chilling, window, covering.
Great thoughts, thank you gents

Your on the right track. Looking for anything that could be a possible problem. You will figure it out :geek: .

Back