Imperial Porter Feedback

Here4TheBeers

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

First time posting here, but have been using the site for quite some time. I've been tinkering with this recipe for a few days, but figured I'd ask the for some feedback since I haven't brewed a porter before, much less an imperial version, and some of these malts are new to me. I'd like to target something dark and chocolatey with a slight bite (hence the rye).

I have access to other bittering hops (warrior, Columbus, centennial) as well as flavor/aroma hops (Fuggles, cascade, more willamette), so there is some flexibility there.

Figured WLP001 for a clean ferment, but open to suggestions if something would fit better. Did consider San Diego Super Yeast as well.

I'm planning on a coffee addition post fermentation either dry beaning or cold brew prior to bottling.

Recipe here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1022425/wip-hefty-porter-thing

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated!

Your IBUs seem low for such a high gravity beer. You may not want it too bitter but as is, it's likely to register as too malt-heavy. I'd boost it into the 50s or 60s for a little higher BU/GU ratio. Warrior might be a smoother bittering hop. Chinook is great for piney flavor but can be a little harsh.Willamette seems right for late hopping. I'd add some more, though. Consider putting about 3/4 of your IBUs in the 60 minute addition and 1/4 in the late addition.

I would probably sub out the Crystal 120 for some brown malt. If memory serves me correct, Porters typically have some brown malt in them.

Your yeast selection will do fine as will Nottingham dry yeast. I would recommend pitching a small yeast starter at high krausen with the 2 packs of WLP that you have just to give them a jumpstart on the high OG.

As for hops, I typically use Magnum for bittering and don't typically do much for late hop additions in Porters and Stouts. Though some folks do tend to like a late it.

Here is one I did a few weeks back. Haven't packaged it yet, so take the recipe with a grain for salt. I'm sure that some folks might call it an Imperial Milk Stout rather than an Imperial Milk Porter (especially since it is based on the Black is Beautiful beer), but then again there isn't much difference between a Stout and a Porter these days anyways (IMO).

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1040017/bib-milk-porter-001

@AGbrewer I did, actually. Unfortunately, I did not see your response before I had to order my grains from the LHBS so I wasn't able to sub the 120 for the brown malt or incorporate other suggestions. Not sure why I didn't see the notification. I do appreciate the feedback though!

The brew day went relatively smoothly though. The mash was pretty thick and ultimately my efficiency took a hit. I was targeting a SG of 1.096 but only hit about 1.082 after temp correction. Color was definitely dark as night and tasted pretty good.

I only pitched the 2 packs as indicated in my recipe link, but it seemed to be enough. After 12ish hours it was rocking and went for a good 3-4 days before slowing down and settling out. I've let it clean up for the past few days at 70 degrees or so and am planning a short dry bean coffee addition, maybe 12-15 hours before bottling. I'll check FG when adding the crushed beans, but after adjusting for a lower SG, I'm expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.018.

I'll report back once the bottling is complete.

@AGbrewer

I'll report back once the bottling is complete.

Alright, as of last night, everything is bottled up. Final Gravity was about 1.015 or so, which is going to be good for about 8.7% ABV. A little lower than I would have liked, but the less efficient mash at the outset is the likely culprit.

I did a 18ish hour dry bean with medium roast beans from a local roaster, roughly 2.5 oz in 3 gallons of beer. I wasn't sure of how much to use so I went on the conservative side. Before the dry bean, the sample tasted like full on bakers chocolate with some sweetness and a nice hefty mouthfeel, I was actually kind of surprised given the higher IBUs I adjusted.

After the dry bean, still got the bakers chocolate, but now it had a lovely coffee aroma and underlying flavor. I probably could have pushed the coffee to 3-3.5 oz, but overall happy with the results of the dry bean and this beer overall. It was definitely the most ambitious beer I've attempted to date. All of the input was great!

Bottles are in a box in the basement where they'll sit for 6-8 weeks at a minimum. We have a family gathering mid-November, so I'll "release" this then to see how it is shaping up. Probably give a few folks a bottle or two to take home with them.

Where's the best place to post about the finished beer, given this is the Recipe Feedback forum?

Thanks all!

Alright, as of last night, everything is bottled up. Final Gravity was about 1.015 or so, which is going to be good for about 8.7% ABV. A little lower than I would have liked, but the less efficient mash at the outset is the likely culprit.

I did a 18ish hour dry bean with medium roast beans from a local roaster, roughly 2.5 oz in 3 gallons of beer. I wasn't sure of how much to use so I went on the conservative side. Before the dry bean, the sample tasted like full on bakers chocolate with some sweetness and a nice hefty mouthfeel, I was actually kind of surprised given the higher IBUs I adjusted.

After the dry bean, still got the bakers chocolate, but now it had a lovely coffee aroma and underlying flavor. I probably could have pushed the coffee to 3-3.5 oz, but overall happy with the results of the dry bean and this beer overall. It was definitely the most ambitious beer I've attempted to date. All of the input was great!

Bottles are in a box in the basement where they'll sit for 6-8 weeks at a minimum. We have a family gathering mid-November, so I'll "release" this then to see how it is shaping up. Probably give a few folks a bottle or two to take home with them.

Where's the best place to post about the finished beer, given this is the Recipe Feedback forum?

Thanks all!

Glad to hear that it is tasting good so far.

Regarding where to post feedback, I would say to post the feedback right here as this is where the post started. That way everyone who has commented or is following this post can see how things turned out. Also, I would recommend that you put tasting notes in your Brewlog for the Brewsession and maybe the recipe itself. This way you can refer back to it when you brew it again.

In the original thread is where most folks follow up. You can also make the recipe public and shareable and add feedback to that page as well. Others who may brew the same beer can also post feedback.

Back