Huge Krausen from BRY-97 starter

LarryBrewer

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is my first time using the relatively new BRY-97 yeast. Apparently it is a real climber! Check out these pictures of the kruasen head just from a small starter.

I did a 1.5L starter at 1.036 from an 11g pack of BRY-97.

Why do a starter with dry yeast? Well I only had the one pack, and I'm shooting for a pitch rate of 1.0 M cells / mL / deg plato. This is intended for a 5.5 gallon batch of IIPA with an OG of 1.078!

Yeast starter calculator here:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

Krausen at 16, 24, and 30 hours after the starter was created:

Attachments

• DSCN0480.JPG
    DSCN0480.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 2,069
  • DSCN0476.JPG
    DSCN0476.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,972
  • DSCN0474.JPG
    DSCN0474.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,918
:shock:
(the emoticon says it all...)

I was expecting it to be done by now. I normally decant my starters. With all this activity I postponed brew day to tomorrow :(

I would up pitching the entire starter, it still hadn't completely settled out almost 72 hours later.

Smelled great - bready with citrus notes. The name doesn't lie - BRY-97 is West Coast California for sure. Much different from regular old US-05 which I don't get the citrus notes from at all. This should blend nicely with the snifter grade IIPA I brewed. Used about 6oz of home grown Chinook and a bit of Amarillo and Simcoe. My early thought is this yeast may be better for summer beers and lighter IPAs, but we'll see how it tastes in about a month.

In a nutshell - people are saying it has a longer lag time. I noticed that too in terms of both the starter and the actual batch taking an extra 24 hours to kick off. Lots of blowoff too.

Some are saying it has a slightly smoother hop profile. I think it has citrus notes. One other guy said pineapple.

I have a keg of Northern Brewers Cahsmire Blonde going right now. I made it with two packs of real old BRY-97 I had in the fridge. Came out great, has a very strong grapefruit taste to it.

Wow dude you necro'd a thread like a champ!

Back