HSA Threat & Aging

jmhbutler

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some insight on my latest hiccup:

Was brewing an imperial Russian stout last night. Long story short, I had a stuck mash that couldn't be resolved without pouring the mash into a primary bucket and then back into the mash tun. In hindsight I should have scooped rather that poured as some sloshing did occur.

The beer finished with almost 80% efficiency which I'm pleased with. However, I realize my actions open the door for HSA. Those who believe in HSA say that it can impact the beers ability to age.

My questions is, am I better off allowing this beer to sit in secondary the entire 3 months or should I keg it a little bit early to avoid possible deterioration?

Wouldn't any oxygen introduced during mashing be driven off during the main boil? :?

JAMC said:
Wouldn't any oxygen introduced during mashing be driven off during the main boil? :?

You are correct! That is why you should aerate your wort properly after it has cooled. The warmer your wort is the less oxygen (or any other gas for that matter), can remain dissolved in it. At boiling virtually all gasses are driven off.

However said, HSA could occur because oxidation (once oxidation occurs the oxygen is no longer a gas) will occur much more rapidly the higher the temp. I would guess you mash simply being exposed to the open air and the water you use would oxidize the wort more than you could ever cause during normal brewing practices.

My 2 cents is on, you don't have anything to worry about.

I don't think HSA would affect anything but a subtle astringent taste issue. And that's only with really light beers, like Pilsners. Dude, with your brew, you're not even gonna notice it.

Back