How to program a partial mash and boil for BIAB

Ballantyne de Wolf

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can I just clarify, the water requirements and Brew calcs don't take manual pre- and post-boil values into account if batch size is set to Fermenter?

I have a system going where I can utilise the massive headroom in BIAB mash thickness to use a kettle smaller than would be required for a full boil and I'm getting 84% brewhouse efficiency. BF is correctly calculating the amount of water I need, but doesn't let me program a partial boil.

What concerns me is that my IBU calcs and water chemistry are off because of this. The Top Off feature in Mash Guidelines adds top off liquor to my mash volume, whereas I want to add that top off liquor pre-boil, post-boil, pre-pitch and at bottling as volume in my vessels becomes available.

I understand there was an update on this last year, but I don't think that has helped me?

Until we have a user input field for post boil top off volume, I would recommend any partial boils be ignored all together. Set the postboil volume to what you want it to be. Your efficiency will be slightly lower, and you'll need to adjust for that accordingly.

IBUs will be off slightly as well, this should have been accounted for in a previous update but I'm still seeing issues with that and have opened a new ticket.

Until we have a user input field for post boil top off volume, I would recommend any partial boils be ignored all together. Set the postboil volume to what you want it to be. Your efficiency will be slightly lower, and you'll need to adjust for that accordingly.

IBUs will be off slightly as well, this should have been accounted for in a previous update but I'm still seeing issues with that and have opened a new ticket.
Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it. If I understand correctly "what you want it to be" means build the recipe for my target brew length, but just use less water, adjusting real-world hops and base grain to compensate for the thicker-and-stronger-than-calculated kettle contents?
Thanks again.

Back