How to prevent chill haze

jcj99be

Premium Member
Reaction score
I finished my first brew. Everything looked fine until I put a few bottles in the fridge. When I pulled one out to drink it was cloudy (it was clear when I put it in the fridge).

After a little internet research, I found that this is a common problem called Chill Haze.

I was interested in the community advice about chill haze how you deal with it:
1) What is the cause of chill haze? I read that it can be caused because the wort boil isn't strong enough and proteins don't clump together enough during the hot break? Is it just me or does this happen to everyone?
2) What can I do about it the next time? I read about adding Irish Moss after the boil? How does it work? Do any of you systematically add something to soak up these unwanted proteins?
3) I also read about using whirlfloc? But I can't find any here in Belgium... I found something called "biersol" has anyone used it?
4) To salvage this batch, I read that if I just leave the bottles in the fridge for a couple of weeks, the proteins to settle to the bottom and the beer should clarify?

Really interested in your advice for my next batch!

You'll have to provide a lot more information about your "first brew"...pretty impossible to guess at a solution with no idea of how you arrived at the problem. ;)
Sometimes even beers that are done pretty much by the book will haze if they're cold enough. I had some bottled lagers in a chamber that was near freezing and noticed a momentary haze at pouring one. At temps in the low 30s, they've been nothing but crystal clear.

How does the beer taste?
If it tastes good, don't worry about it too much. Don't get hung up on clarity, taste is what really matters.
I normally add whirlfloc with 15 to go in the boil, and have also used Irish moss at the same time in the past. Sometimes I have forgotten to add either, and have not been disappointed with those batches. I don't know how either of these fining agents work

I've recently changed to electric brewing and my boil these days is probably half as strong and I have noticed a bit of haze hanging around in my beers early on.

As JA pointed at some more info will help. Your grist may have wheat or oats which will help contribute to some sustained haze. Also type of yeast used . I also hear a good count of calcium in your water helps with reducing haze I don't know the science sorry just what I've read.
If I want a clearer beer sooner than if I left it lager in which case it "should drop clear eventually" I'll use geletin after cold crash on transfer to the keg I find this quickens up the clearing process.

I think this is why the big boys have "Bright Tanks" somewhere for the beer to clear before packaging:rolleyes:.

I suspect that our OP is jumping to conclusions...
Most likely the haziness is just yeast leftover from bottle carbing and stirred up during the pour. Chill haze is a relatively advanced and even somewhat sporadic problem encountered when brewing all-grain. We don't even know if the "first brew" was all grain or extract. It's all speculation and potentially added confusion until we get a better picture.
There's probably more obvious issues (or non-issues, as the case may be) and nothing more than a little patience is required to rectify the situation. :)

I'm still hoping that @jcj99be will chime back in and give us some details...I've been curious about this one. ;)

Back