how to improve dry hopping (hop bag x no bag)

Gledison

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was discussing with other folks in other thread and came out how could we improve dry hopping.
I've been using teebags for dry hopping and im not getting the aroma I want. Im using a fair amount of hops (4g / liter or 0.5-1oz per US Gallon.
I noticed that the little teebags are quite compacted by the end of the dry hopping.
Could be that the problem? im not using a secondary and im using bags to avoid extra trub due to the hops dust.
I've got this 1$ Chinese tee infuser (stainless stell) to give a try.
what is your experience ? should the hops be as loose as possible ? or im just doing something completely wrong?
btw, i normaly leave the hops for 5 days.
thanks

Attachments

• rsz_img-20170911-wa0001.jpg
    rsz_img-20170911-wa0001.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 375
I have been using hop bags but switched to a tea ball,available for peanuts on ebay from China----oops see you have one:rolleyes::D. Just feel it gives the pellets more room and obviously it sinks so no weighing down.:cool:

Yep, but are you having improvements on beer aroma?
Cheers

Yep, but are you having improvements on beer aroma?
Cheers
Mmmmmmm
only ever used a tea bag type hop sachet once so hard to say really.Wasn't overly impressed with the tea bag type sachet and never brought anothe one.

If you don't want to bother dry-hopping, whirlpool/hopstand hopping is extremely effective for adding big aroma and saturated hop flavor.

I'm curious why you wouldn't just add the hops without a bag? There have been studies (at least if memory serves me correctly) that utilization is increased both in the boil and dry hopping by 25-50% by adding them directly without any containment.

As JA said, late additions and whirlpool additions work well for improving hop aroma. I do late/whirlpool additions as well as dry hopping without any containment with great results.

Crash cooling prior to kegging/bottling drops out all hop residue. Even if containment is used, cold crashing would aid in precipitating the hop particles that escape the containment.

in the beginning I did the same thing, trying to reinvent the wheel to keep hops out but today I throw them right in, even whirlpool, and if a cup of hops get in my fermentation vessel I just let it, doesn't make a difference in my beers because I chill and age all beers 30 days from grain to glass, by that time it all drops to the bottom of my kegs, beer is always clear

Back