How To Edit Existing Fermentables?

Tempestlight

Premium Member
Reaction score
How can i edit existing fermentables?

I have noticed from extensive use that quite a few of the existing fermentables in the dropdown menu have incorrect parameters that need to be edited and i cant work out how to edit them. Also i DONT want to keep creating customizable fermentables to "fix" this problem, i want to edit the existing ones when i know they're wrong

I'll give you one example

Crisp Malting Caramalt is listed as 17.5 lovibond when its 12 lovibond on average in crisps malt handbook

Crisp Malting Cara Gold is listed as 14 lovibond when its 6 lovibond on average in crisps malt handbook

I'm trying to get my beer colour as accurate as possible for a golden ale with these ingredients and its impossible when the current fermentables are so wildly inaccurate. When i created this recipe in brewfather it has the correct lovibond for the malt and my SRM comes in at 5.4

96% Voyager Veloria
4% Crisp Cara Gold

In brewers friend i get a finsihed SRM of 6 but if i halve the amount of cara gold its drops to 5.4 which matches the inaccurate lovibond listed. I know that difference may not sound like a lot but accuracy is important to me and im sure a lot of other brewers

I would like to be able to edit them just the same as i edit the AA on my hops to get the IBU as accurate as i can, and the same as you can in brewfather

Am i missing something? i've tried clicking on everything and I cant find anything in the "manual" I may have to resort to using brewfather and if i do i may not come back.

How can i edit existing fermentables?

I have noticed from extensive use that quite a few of the existing fermentables in the dropdown menu have incorrect parameters that need to be edited and i cant work out how to edit them. Also i DONT want to keep creating customizable fermentables to "fix" this problem, i want to edit the existing ones when i know they're wrong

I'll give you one example

Crisp Malting Caramalt is listed as 17.5 lovibond when its 12 lovibond on average in crisps malt handbook

Crisp Malting Cara Gold is listed as 14 lovibond when its 6 lovibond on average in crisps malt handbook

I'm trying to get my beer colour as accurate as possible for a golden ale with these ingredients and its impossible when the current fermentables are so wildly inaccurate. When i created this recipe in brewfather it has the correct lovibond for the malt and my SRM comes in at 5.4

96% Voyager Veloria
4% Crisp Cara Gold

In brewers friend i get a finsihed SRM of 6 but if i halve the amount of cara gold its drops to 5.4 which matches the inaccurate lovibond listed. I know that difference may not sound like a lot but accuracy is important to me and im sure a lot of other brewers

I would like to be able to edit them just the same as i edit the AA on my hops to get the IBU as accurate as i can, and the same as you can in brewfather

Am i missing something? i've tried clicking on everything and I cant find anything in the "manual" I may have to resort to using brewfather and if i do i may not come back.
I always consider the SRM a prediction without a way to scientifically measure the result without bias. Kind-of like IBUs. I'm not sending my beer into a lab to have the IBUs measured, but have to rely on my tongue to tell me of the calculator was close. I know that my beers tend to turn out darker, in my opinion, than the recipe predicts so I accommodate for that in my future recipes.

I always consider the SRM a prediction without a way to scientifically measure the result without bias. Kind-of like IBUs. I'm not sending my beer into a lab to have the IBUs measured, but have to rely on my tongue to tell me of the calculator was close. I know that my beers tend to turn out darker, in my opinion, than the recipe predicts so I accommodate for that in my future recipes.

The problem with that though is someone has entered the lovibond numbers for those fermentables to start with, which i can do myself with a custom fermentable which I've done recently when i brewed with Crisp Plumage Archer. So from that i can deduct that the incorrect numbers have been entered and the recipe will display an incorrect colour. I have verified this by creating the same recipe in brewfather which showed 6.4 lovibond instead of 14 for cara gold malt and it also displayed the correct beer colour as closer to 5 SRM instead of 6.

There are a lot of beers in the 2.5 to 6 SRM range and a 1 point difference can make quite a difference. I know that beer colour is not super accurate but the fermentables should have the correct numbers at least, so we can use the correct amounts of specialty malts and get closer to our desired results quicker than with incorrect numbers

Thank you for the attention to detail!

Malt specs can often change overtime, especially color, and also not many maltsters provide the detailed spec sheets unfortunately so we often have to rely on second hand information from retailers, breweries providing lot specific spec sheets, etc.

I've updated those two items that you listed, and will take some time today to review from crisp generic spec sheets.

For your info as well, so your immediate recipes have the information you want, you can add items either to your inventory. Use an amount of 0 if you don't plan on keeping it on hand. You can also add custom fermentables to the recipe, and it will prefill the information when you select the corresponding catalog ingredient.

upload_2022-9-24_8-24-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-9-24_8-23-51.png
    upload_2022-9-24_8-23-51.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 38

Back