How much to add?????

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Weardend, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Weardend

Weardend New Member

I'm thinking of doing a chocolate and vanilla porter and want some advice on how much flavourings to add.

I was thinking about 50g of cocoa nibs for 15mins at the end of the boil and 4 caps of vanilla extract into the fermenter as i pitch the yeast. I'm aiming for 24/25 litres in the vessel to fill a 36 pint barrel.

To much? Not enough? I want to be able to taste it without if being overpowering

2. thehaze

thehaze Active Member

I would use cocoa nibs and vanilla after the fermentation is finished. Last time I used 125 gr raw, organic cocoa bean, which I crushed + 6 vanilla pods, scraped and cut into bits for a Stout. These were soaked in bourbon for 3 days in the fridge and then I dumped the content in the fermenter and bottle one week later.

Mase likes this.
  3. Mase

Mase Well-Known Member

#3 Mase, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    I’ve used 4 oz. of cocoa nibs after fermentation slows down. Like “thehaze” above, soak in alcohol. I use a cheap vodka for 3-4 days. Just enough vodka to cover the nibs, then just pour in the whole lot. For a good vanilla flavor, I use 4 whole Madagascar vanilla beans. I cut and scrape the whole lot of them and soak in vodka the same as the cocoa nibs. Sounds like an interesting combination, keep us posted.

Edit: I’m assuming this is for a 5 gallon batch