How long to leave stout in secondary with added maple syrup

Vinnnyintain

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm kind of a noob at brewing and thought I would dive into the deep end of the pool. I brewed a stout beer and decided to put it in a secondary fermentation. I added a 12oz bottle of maple syrup and a tincture of vanilla and cinnamon extract made with vodka. How long do you guys recommend leaving it in secondary.?

The yeast will need time to ferment the sugar in the syrup. I would take hydrometer readings at 3 days and again at 5 days and if they are the same then you should be good to bottle. The beer may need more time to mature in the bottle, but if it does at least it can be carbing up at the same time.

The yeast will need time to ferment the sugar in the syrup. I would take hydrometer readings at 3 days and again at 5 days and if they are the same then you should be good to bottle. The beer may need more time to mature in the bottle, but if it does at least it can be carbing up at the same time.

Thanks mate I took a reading and it is looking promising. The only other issue was that I had a slight vodka taste due to the vanilla and cinnamon tincture I made. I hope it will go away before I bottle as I was thinking about cold steeping some coffee and vanilla pods to add at bottling.

The vodka taste should mellow with age. It might take several weeks but in my experience it does eventually mellow out.

One weeks should be plenty as any sugars will be quickly eaten by the yeast.

Hey thanks guys I am also wondering about how to get a final gravity reading if I forgot to take one after racking in secondary on top of 12oz of maple syrup?

Back