How long does your hombrew last?

How long on average does your hombrew last?

• Total voters

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday all;).

I don't know if you've listened to brulosophers first podcast on their first ever EXBEERIMENT the great Trub EXBEERIMENT.
Anyhow they got talking along the lines of how long their hombrewed beer lasted in the keg and how trub may not even have that much impact for us homebrewers since we didn't have our beer sitting for extended periods of time and therefore any off flavours caused from the hot/cold break and hop matter wouldn't have time to develop off flavours. Marshal said most of his kegs are kicked within 6 weeks from racking to the keg saying he had Seven on the go at one time!

On average I'd say 6-7 weeks for me depending how tasty it is and if I have any beer thirsty travelers come my way:).

Now I don't want this to be a Kegging only thread bottle Brewers included how long on (average) I know there is some barley wine makers and sour beer enthusiasts as well. For bottled beer I'd say 3 months and that last bottle is drained longer now that I keg and am too lazy to transfer some to the fridge for cooling:rolleyes:.

I know bottled beer will take longer to consume because it's carbed later and I don't think it's as Accessable as kegged beer. For example nothing gets much easier than grabbing a beer glass and pulling a lever:D.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
I'd have to do the math. I know it takes just me about two weeks to drink an entire five gallon batch. Bottling or kegging, I've always had around six batches available at any given time, and I tend to rotate through them. But I'm not the only one drinking it. My wife has a beer a night or so, and friends come over. On average, I bet the last of any batch is about two months after the first pour

Tough to say, but I went with 2 months

A lot of it depends on how much I give out to friends. I have some test batch bottles from January or so still sitting. And a pumpkin saison from around November. Just had one of those in fact. No pumpkin taste to speak of but not a bad saison if I say so myself

Still have one bottle of sour that's at least 2 years old and one bottle of porter from out wedding about 1.5 years ago. Those should be tasty later on this year

Commercial beers....don't get me started on those. Since the wife can't drink now due to her "condition" I tend to save those special beers for when we can share, which wont be for a few more months

I should add, I'm the only one drinking the kegs here, so they tend to last a while (also because I dip into the vodka here and there instead, don't tell anyone though or I'll lose my beer cred)
I'm hoping the new neighbors will help with this ;)

So probably on average much less then two months give or take.

Idk, I noticed the past few weeks I've been on the low end for beer drinking. Still getting my daily recommended dose of ethanol though, so no worries:cool:

Sorta off topic, but I've been toying around with the idea to brew as if I were a commercial farm brewery. Limited number of ingredients on hand but need to make a range of different styles, brewing within a budget, trying to move product to friends, brewing with ingredients that fit the season, etc
Like I said in another thread, I don't plan ahead all that well, but this could be a fun spin on the hobby

Wow it's usually over 3 months before I even start drinking a batch

Wow it's usually over 3 months before I even start drinking a batch
See now this is why it's good to have this thread it seems it's pretty varied. So you condition your brews in the keg for a month or so KC or you leave in Primary for some time till you rack to keg? Is there a reason for this (largering) or that's just your general keg rotation. I've met plenty of kit and kilo bottle Brewers who are the same and don't begin to drink a brew past 3 months.

Do I need to add a four, five and six months option?o_O

Who was Five weeks on average to kick a keg or bottled brew:cool: now that's commendable lol

Who was Five weeks on average to kick a keg or bottled brew:cool: now that's commendable lol

that would be me when im not sick lol

that was a deceiving answer I was thinking 5 weeks after the 30 days from brew day

Last edited:
I went 2 months - but it can vary. I try and drink my pale ales in 4 - 6 weeks, darks last much longer. Also depends on the season, summer = lots of bbq's = lots of visitors = struggle to keep stocks up.....

Definitely kiwi brew tend to be more thirsty in the summer months winter time more sipping type beers then guzzlers:).
I must admit I'm a big fan of me light summer session guzzlers:p.

As was stated it can vary a lot. I have a little 4yr old beer in the cellar but on the other end if I brew a hefe I try to start drinking it asap for fresh yeast flavor like maybe 12 days, so it would kick in maybe 21 days when doing spring yardwork?

Okay, maybe I missed it above: Define what you mean by "last". If you're talking how long it takes to drink, depends on the batch size and how good it is. If you're talking shelf life, that's something else. Heck, I could even interpret the question as how long does it take to drink a pint. Specificity, folks! :)

Back