Hopstand recipe

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. Curious of what you think about this recipe. What I am going for is something in the pale ale range of ibus certainly not more than 45 to 50. At the same time I have never tried a hop stand and want to give it a whirl. Something relatively fruity with a more hop flavor and aroma over bitterness.

As far as malt goes, I am looking for a touch of Carmel biscuit and nuts...

The big question is do I have the right idea on the hopstand and utilization? 10% good? I don't want to end up drinking something wicked bitter!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/848262/marris

have you had that malt bill before? seems pretty malty for a fruity beer, the two fight against each other, as for the whirlpool it creates a better hop flavor below 175F and I use 3 to 5% mostly at that temperature

have you had that malt bill before? seems pretty malty for a fruity beer, the two fight against each other, as for the whirlpool it creates a better hop flavor below 175F and I use 3 to 5% mostly when that temperature
So no... I have never used the malt bill before. Should I DROP the caramunich?

Hmmm. So cool to 175 and then add my hops? Or add them and then drop the temp down to 175? So you still get bitterness at that temp? Have you done as I am attempting - w/o any other hop additions?

Thanks for the input so far!

I brew every beer now with a bittering hop and a strong whirlpool addition never without the 60 minute, I start whirlpooling at flame out then let the temp drop to 170 naturally, add more hops and whirlpool for 30 minutes more, it's a very effective way to keep you hop flavor, two ways to do this add your clearing agent after the whirlpool or not at all for a milky looking hop bomb, you don't want to add a campden tablet during the boil you'll drop the hops to the bottom while whirlpooing

as for the caramunich yes I would drop that

I use 10% utilisation, but I always perceive it as less than that in bitterness and more than that in aroma and taste. I'd be worried about the malt bill making it taste a bit sweet without a bit of bittering at the start of the boil. I'm yet to cut the cord on that, so it may just be habit. Let us know how it goes if you skip it.

I drop to 180 and then add whirlpool hops. I also leave the boil hop bag in the kettle while I cool. I use 4% hop utilization for whirlpool hops and I'll enter flameout hops as Aroma or Whirlpool in order to account for the extra uptake using the same 4%. It allows me to get a good estimate of percieved bitterness. I do notice that extra bitterness from whirlpool hops seems to fade along with hop flavor as the beer ages in a way that bitterness from 60 minute additions doesn't.

Back