Hoppy Red Ale question

SeniorChief

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a Hoppy Red or Amber Ale soon but have a question on the Sulfate to Chloride ratio. I usually make my IPA's at a 6-1 or 8-1 ratio. But with a Hoppy Red, I wasn't sure if I want to keep that same ratio because I want to also bring in the malt flavor as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on making a hoppy red and still bringing the malt profile or am I overthinking this to much?

do a balance profile, you need some bitterness but also malt flavor, I always use an even Calcium chloride to Gypsum on malty but hoppy beers

I would also do a balanced profile, as you really want the maltiness out there, intertwining with the hops. You could also lean more towards enhancing the bitterness, but the grain bill should be able to provide enough sweetness/malty goodness, for the hops, not to become overbearing.

I find that in most beers the higher sulfate to chloride ratio produces a better beer, but I think I produce generally malty beers.

I prefer malty beers so my treatment is the reverse of Emsroth - I use CaCl2 for the calcium addition (and the chloride) and a bit of epsom salt (MgSO4) for the sulfate. Agree on the balanced profile: Get your recipe down then tweak the water (otherwise, you'll never know what worked).

I find that in most beers the higher sulfate to chloride ratio produces a better beer, but I think I produce generally malty beers.

I guess I mean to say that the wort I produce is generally malty, for whatever reason, so my beers personally benefit from the higher sulfate ratio.

Ive been on this kick lately of just a balanced profile and only brewing lighter hopped beers so an equal amount of both Gypsum and Calcium chloride works for me

SO42-/Cl- ratio:
0.9 Balanced

Back