Hopped Cider

Hatchertiger

Trial Member
Reaction score
Successfully made my first gallon of hard sparkling cider. Came out very dry with a hint of apple flavor. I liked it. Next fermented and bottled a honey-apple cider that I will also bottle condition. The ABV in almost 8% so it will pack a nice punch. Decided I'd dry hop some cider as I have been reading up on it and wanted to make something closer to a beer taste. One article made the point that instead of using champagne yeast like most hard cider recipes use, its a good idea to use beer yeast as it imparts a different flavor and of course the hops will as well. So I decided to experiment. I have 3 one gallon batches going with different combinations of yeast and hops as follows: (1) Premier Cuvee - Simcoe; (2) Safeale 05 - Columbus; and (3) Safeale 04 - Golding. I added the hops after the batch had been fermenting for four days. Simply dropped the hop pellets in. I've never dry hopped before. My concern is that the hops after a couple days has dispersed but is still floating around at the top of the fermenter. Is that how it is supposed to be? I plan on leaving in a total of two weeks from hopping before I bottle. Any other suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

By the way, I buy one gallon glass jugs of apple cider from Whole Foods at a cost of $8.99. The OG is perfect around 1.045. And since I brew in small batches, I get a "new" carboy every time I make a batch!

I did two 'turbo's last year,one with mixed fruit juices added and one raspberry along with some hops.Used sparkling wine yeast and both came out very dry and 8%+:eek::D.They were ok.
have just bottled up two more,one apple and one apple and blackberry,both done with cider yeast.Inititial taste prior to bottling was very nice,not over dry either.Was tempted to add hops again but resisted

If you don't bag your hops, then they will float around at the top like that. I weigh a muslin bag with some marbles and put the hops in there. Keeps it submerged and mostly together when you go to rack it

Might be worth trying a hop tea and bung it in just prior to bottling:cool:

If you don't bag your hops, then they will float around at the top like that. I weigh a muslin bag with some marbles and put the hops in there. Keeps it submerged and mostly together when you go to rack it

That would have been so easy to do!

That would have been so easy to do!
Just make sure to sanitize the whole thing first. I tie the marbles in first with a knot then the hops in a second compartment with a second knot. You could even run a string up to the bung to make it easier to fish out

i now use a tea ball for my dry hops.Easy to sanitise,enough room for the hops and it sinks-stainless steel:cool:
cheap as chips from ebay(china)

Back