Hop Stands

Beer is my Blood

Trial Member
Reaction score
I want to try a hop stand but I don't have the steps down yet to feel comfortable doing one, so my question is can anyone give me some rough steps or guidelines that you follow to complete yours?

I've been including hop stands in most of my American beer styles lately and really like the outcome.
Remember, they're hops so there are many different methods and times that you're the boss of.
A typical stand for me goes in at flame-out, then is quickly cooled to 150°, then the chiller is shut off and the wort is left to stand. This can be 15,20,30 minutes or however long you'd like it to be. After the stand, resume cooling and finish your beer as normal.
There's really nothing to it and you can experiment with different amount of stand times and also when you're adding them .
Have fun, Cheers!
Brian

thanks for that explanation.

i thought it was some sort of new contraption for the longest time. i never really looked into it since there were other gadgets i wanted / needed to get first

jmcnamara said:
thanks for that explanation.

i thought it was some sort of new contraption for the longest time. i never really looked into it since there were other gadgets i wanted / needed to get first
You were thinking of a Hop Rocket or a Randall. I often use a hop stand at the end of the boil (something about the flavor of raw hops is off-putting to me so I like to cook them), just turn the flame off, dump in the hops and let them sit for a while before resuming cooling. It could work at any reasonably warm temperature for any reasonable amount of time so experiment.

pretty much. just that you'd put it in the kettle rather than routing a serving line or whatever through it.

i think i'll have try that in the near future. another experiment!

Okay I'm trying to picture this could you run it through a chiller to a desired temp and into another kettle, adding the hops and letting it sit until you are ready to drain through the chiller again and into your fementer, and would you whirlpool to get the hop cone before draining into the fermenter.

Sounds like it would all be in the kettle, with an immersion chiller

you just put the hops in the kettle or bag then let it set at a certain temp or what I do is put the hops in then whirlpool till that certain temp then turn on the heat and keep it that temp while whirl pooling for 15 to 30 minutes or so then chill

I put the last batch of hops in at 0 or flame out then I whirlpool till 170 some people do 140

What are some good toppings for ice cream?

Beer is my Blood said:
What are some good hop to use?

Probably the more citrus fruity types. Amarillo, citra, galaxy, mosaic, azacca, to name a few

jeffpn said:
What are some good toppings for ice cream?

Resses cups, oreos, Rainbow sprinkles, butterscotch, and whipped cream

Now there's a man with answers!! :lol:

Back