Hop stands

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by jesperp85, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jesperp85

jesperp85 New Member

Hi everybody

I have started experimenting with hop stands/whirlpooling for my IPA, and i have some thoughts with regards to the utilization of hops.

Before, I added a load of hops at 15 min, 10, 5 and 0 minutes and chilled. My first attempt on a hop stand i simply extended this schedule with a hop stand in the end. Then i cooled to about 80 degrees (celcius), threw in lots of hops and held it for 5-10 minutes only before cooling. The hop flavor and aroma was great here.

However, my second attempt i cooled to about 80, threw in hops and held it for about 40 minutes. The results of this seems to have extracted a lot more bitternes and dulled the flavor/aroma as compared to my first attempt.

I suspect that the extended time of hop stand volatized the flavor of my boil additions, but also my hop stand addition.

I believe that the hops stand is the way to go for some smooth hoppy brews. So the next IPA brew i am going to do, i will be moving all the boil additions up to flameout and making a hop stand with multiple additions.

http://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands

Does anyone have experience with the design of IPA recipies using hop stands or comments to this?

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I'm going to try this too, also going to experiment with pumping though a filter housing filled with a bag of hops like a whirlpool